This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento® Cheese. All opinions are 100% mine.
These Cheesy French Onion Chicken Sandwiches are the ultimate party or game day food! Soft rolls loaded up with slow cooker chicken, caramelized onions and loads of melt cheese. This is the perfect recipe to feed your hungry crowd!
Yeah, yeah, yeah, another oven baked sandwich recipe. What can I say? I just love sandwiches dripping with melted cheese! And these Cheesy French Onion Chicken Sandwiches are the ultimate! They are very easy to make. The chicken and onions can be prepared ahead of time, making this recipe great for parties.
I have had a weird obsession with caramelized sweet onions lately so these sandwiches really hit the spot for me. And cheese, well, I am always obsessed with cheese! I used Sargento® Sliced Provolone and Sliced Swiss for these sandwiches. The swiss and provolone combo provided the perfect amount of meltiness and flavor. Sargento® Sliced Cheese is 100% real, natural cheese. Pasteurized Process Cheese Foods, also known as American singles, are only required to contain 51% real cheese . . . What!?!? But everything Sargento® does is for the love of cheese. My kind of people!
The chicken is made simply with butter and onion soup mix in the slow cooker. Cook, shred and it is ready. The onions need a little more attention. Just slowly sauté while stirring occasionally until the onions turn this glorious golden brown color. You could even caramelize them more for a deeper flavor if you prefer. Then it is just a matter of assembling the sandwiches and baking in the oven until melty. Oh, just look at those stretchy strands of cheese. Isn’t it glorious!?!?! These are best served hot right out of the oven. And they will be gone in no time! There is enough chicken for two batches so you may want to make an extra batch on golden onions. You wouldn’t want a riot on your hands. Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe: Email ::: Facebook ::: Twitter ::: Pinterest ::: Instagram
- 3 Lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Envelope Dry Onion Soup/Dip Mix 1oz
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter - cubed
- 3 Lb Sweet Onions - sliced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Generous Pinch Kosher Salt
- 12 Soft Mini Sub Rolls
- 24 Slices Sargento Provolone or Swiss Cheese or 12 of each
- Place ingredients into large slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hrs). Turn slow cooker off, shred chicken and let sit in juices for 30 minutes. (makes 4-5 cups shredded chicken)
- In large pan over medium heat, mix onions, oil and salt. Cook for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a 9x13 pan, place the bottoms of sub rolls in a tight, even layer. Top each with one slice of cheese, scoop of shredded chicken, golden onions and another slice of cheese. Finish with the tops of the sub rolls, cover pan with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until melty.
*The shredded chicken recipe makes enough for 2 batches. However, all other recipes/ingredients need to be doubled for a second batch.