If you are tired of the same old barbecue pork sandwiches give these Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches a try! This easy dinner recipe is inspired by Cuban Sandwiches. Start with Coca-Cola slow cooker pulled pork then add cheese, peperoncinis, pickles, mustard and bread. These oven baked sandwiches are perfect for feeding a crowd!
These Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches are everything! Meaty, cheesy, briny deliciousness.
The slow cooker pulled pork is super simple to make. Pork shoulder, Coca-Cola and a few spices cook on low for 8 hours. Done.
I removed the bone, shredded the meat then removed the meat from the juice for my sandwiches. You can always remove meat from the juice and toss with your favorite barbecue sauce (or my SheBang! Barbecue Sauce). Or, mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon water then add to slow cooker at the end of cooking to thicken sauce and you can do pretty much anything you want with the pork after that.
But, I suggest these Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches because they are BOMB!
I may have been a tad heavy handed with the peperoncinis . . . my ears were burning about half way through my sandwich. Use however many you prefer.
Cuban sandwiches are typically made with swiss cheese. Swiss cheese isn’t my personal favorite so I used havarti instead. I like the flavor of havarti better and it gets super melty!
Stay tuned for an upcoming leftovers recipe for Double Pork Baked Beans!
Once you have your pulled pork it is just a matter of assembling the sandwiches, wrapping with foil then baking until hot and melty.
I do have to thank Jeff Mauro (The Sandwich king) for inspiring this recipe. I saw his recipe for Slow Cooked Cuban Sandwiches in Food Network Magazine and had to make my own version. He is a sandwich genius after all.
Here are a few more oven baked sandwich recipes:
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 5 Pound Pork Shoulder Roast bone in
- 12 ounce can Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Orange Peel optional
- French Bread Rolls
- Yellow Mustard
- Sliced Dill Pickles
- Sliced Peperoncinis
- Sliced Havarti or Swiss Cheese
- Place pork roast in large slow cooker. Mix Coca-Cola, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and orange peel. Pour mixture over pork roast. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove and discard bone then shred meat using two forks. Discard remaining liquid in slow cooker. Taste and season with additional salt/pepper to preference.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place each french bread roll onto foil large enough to wrap sandwich securely. Open rolls and spread mustard on both sides. Layer sliced pickles, shredded pork, peperoncini and 2 cheese slices. Close sandwiches and wrap tightly with foil. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.