This Low Carb Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe is a great way to start the New Year off right. Not only is it a quick and easy dinner idea but it is nutritious and low carb as well.
This recipe is in partnership with Earthbound Farm.
Lazy Cabbage Casserole
This casserole is full of nutritious veggies, hearty meat and satisfying flavors. Basically it is like cabbage rolls but with much less effort.
The great thing about Cabbage Casserole is that it is full of nutritious vegetables. We are using Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower Medley riced veggies as the base instead of traditional rice. I am loving this Cauliflower Medley, it adds more flavor and texture than plain riced cauliflower. With cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and onions this Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower Medley riced veggies has the vegetable portion of the meal covered!
Plus we are (obviously) adding cabbage, tomato and more onion. And because we like to Go Big Or Go Home, let’s add even more veggies with Earthbound Farm Baby Spinach.
Truth be told I add baby spinach to just about everything possible. That is how I make sure to use up every last bit of greens I have in my fridge. Making mac and cheese . . . add spinach. Soup . . . add spinach. Casserole for dinner . . . add spinach. Eggs . . . add spinach. You catch my drift.
So while traditional cabbage rolls don’t include spinach, mine do . . . because, Just Add Spinach!
Ingredients Needed For Low Carb Cabbage Casserole (screenshot for grocery list)
- 2 (14oz) packages Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower Medley riced veggies
- Green Cabbage
- Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Dried Italian Season
- Lean Ground Beef
- No Sugar Bacon
- Green Bell Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- Baby Spinach
- Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
How To Make Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Sauté Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower Medley riced veggies in oil over medium/high until golden browned. Do this in 2 separate batches. Transfer to large greased casserole dish, spread into even layer.
- Layer half the cabbage on top of riced veggies.
- Mix crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and Italian season. Pour half of mixture over cabbage, spread evenly.
- Brown ground beef and bacon, drain fat if necessary. Layer on top of cabbage and tomatoes.
- Sauté bell pepper and onion in oil over medium/high heat until tender. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Layer sautéed veggies over meat.
- Salt and pepper to preference. Layer remaining cabbage and tomato mixture on top.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and heat 2-3 minutes to melt.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Casserole
Yes you can freeze cabbage casserole. Just seal it up nice and tight then freeze. Use within 3 months.
Thaw casserole then bake as instructed.
What Goes With Cabbage Casserole
Cabbage Roll Casserole is a veggie loaded meal in itself. But if you want to serve even more vegetables alongside, here are a few side dish ideas:
More Low Carb Dinner Ideas:
Traditional cabbage rolls do not have cheese. I think it makes it extra delicious. Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Nutrition Information Yield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 396Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 86mgSodium 452mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 28g
Traditional cabbage rolls do not have cheese. I think it makes it extra delicious.
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.