This Vanilla Buttercream Icing Recipe produces sweet, smooth creamy frosting that tastes great on any cake. 4 ingredients will get you the best vanilla frosting ever!
VANILLA FROSTING RECIPE
I am all about the frosting! Honestly, I think of cupcakes and sugar cookies only as vessels for my ludicrous amounts of frosting.
Personally I enjoy simple vanilla buttercream icing. No extra flavors or ingredients. Give me classic buttercream frosting and a spoon.
Use your preferred butter. I recommend using unsalted butter that way you can control the saltiness of the frosting.
Any brand of powdered sugar can be used. It must be labeled powdered sugar, confectioners’ sugar or icing sugar. You cannot substitute with regular granulated sugar.
This recipe calls for vanilla extract. But really you can flavor this frosting with any preferred extract.
Almond, lemon, orange, cotton candy, whatever. Just be sure to add the flavoring a little at a time and taste before adding more. All extracts have varying potencies.
FROSTING STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freezer for up to 3 months. I also place plastic wrap right on top of the frosting to prevent it from drying out.
Remove frosting from refrigerator at least 1 hour prior to use to soften.
CAKES TO PAIR WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM:
- 1½ Cups Softened Unsalted Butter (3 sticks)
- Small Pinch Salt
- 5-6 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream or Half&Half
- Combine butter and salt in bowl of stand-mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix on medium high 2-3 minutes or until butter is light and fluffy. Scrape down sides when necessary.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing between each addition (start on low speed to prevent powdered sugar clouds). Adjust the sugar amount to fit your tastes and consistency needs. Scrape down sides when necessary.
- Add vanilla and heavy cream. Whip on high 2-3 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy.
This recipe produces enough icing to frost 24 cupcakes, a small single layer cake or sheet cake. If making a layered cake I suggest doubling this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 642Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 32mgSodium 11mgCarbohydrates 137gFiber 0gSugar 135gProtein 0g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.