This Avocado Citrus Salad with Chili Lime Dressing is a bright, flavorful, fresh dinner salad. Serve as a side dish or add a protein to make this salad a meal. Cucumber, grapefruit, orange, avocado, peppers and pickled shallots in a spicy dressing.
Citrus Avocado Salad
This is the type of salad you can enjoy all year long. Fresh, bright, colorful with a spicy dressing, creamy avocados and tangy pickled shallots. Omit or add ingredients to fit your preferences and make it your own.
This recipe calls for grapefruit, oranges and pomelos. Adjust the citrus as you like.
Pomelos are similar to grapefruit but they are typically larger and a more mild than the grapefruit flavor. If you are unable to find pomelos, feel free to substitute with additional grapefruit and oranges.
To prevent the onions from overpowering this salad we are using shallots and doing a quick pickle. Instructions are listed in the recipe below or see the full recipe/instructions here: PICKLED SHALLOTS
Make the dressing as instructed then taste. If it is a bit too spicy, add extra honey. If you want it spicier, add more chili oil.
SALAD STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
This salad is best prepared shortly before serving. The avocado should be added just before serving to prevent browning.
Store any leftovers (minus avocado) and dressing separately in the refrigerator. Eat with 1-2 days.
MORE FRESH SALAD RECIPES:
- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 3 cups chopped Napa cabbage (or preferred greens/lettuce)
- 1 English cucumber, chopped into bite-sized pieces or thinly sliced
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 pomelo, peeled and segmented
- 2 avocados, flesh removed and chopped or sliced
- 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced (optional)
- PICKLED SHALLOTS INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon white peppercorns
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Boiling water
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey (or agave for vegan)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Start by preparing the pickled shallots. Place the sliced shallots in a medium jar and top with peppercorns, vinegar, and salt. Pour boiling water until covered. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, place the chopped cabbage on a serving platter and arrange the cucumber, citrus, avocado, and serrano on top. Drizzle with the dressing and top with the pickled shallots just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 440Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 2mgSodium 279mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 12gSugar 14gProtein 6g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.