If you need a filling side dish or dinner, this Cauliflower Mushroom Rice is it! Cauli rice packed with golden brown roasted cremini mushrooms and fresh parsley. This recipe is Paleo compliant, Whole 30, Low Carb – Keto, Vegetarian and has Vegan options.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more info. This post was originally published April 6, 2018. Follow WonkyWonderful on Pinterest to stay up to date on all of the new recipes!
Cauliflower Rice With Mushrooms
This cauliflower rice recipe has unbelievable flavor thanks to those golden sautéed mushrooms.
I wasn’t always a huge fan of cauliflower rice. Not until I figured out how to cook it properly. It’s all about the high heat . . . get a toast on that rice!
I buy my cauliflower already riced because I’m lazy like that. If you want to make it at home check out this tutorial: HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE by The Kitchn
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is raw cauliflower chopped into small pieces. It is then sautéed and served as a rice substitution. I’m not gonna say that it tastes just like rice. Buuuut, if you are avoiding grains, cauliflower rice is definitely a good alternative to rice.
How do you choose the best mushrooms?
I focus mostly on the texture. Firm mushrooms only! If there is any soft squishiness, do not buy. That means they are getting old. If there is a funky smell (almost fish-like) don’t buy. So basically you want firm mushrooms without any funk. Oh, and if they are slimy at all . . . no, just don’t do it.
How should you serve this mushroom cauli rice?
This can be a side dish with any protein or veggies. Really, this dish is filling enough to eat as a meal by itself. Or, add some chicken or beef for a complete dinner.
What tools do you need for this recipe?
You will need a Rimmed Baking Sheet and Good Fry Pan. These Chef’s Foundry Ceramic Knives are great for slicing, cutting and chopping! This Cauli Mushroom Rice is great for meal prep, I use these Glass Meal Prep Containers with Lids.
Tips → Tricks → Suggestions →
- You want the pan and oil very hot before adding the cauliflower rice. Once added, leave it for a minute or two. We want that cauli rice golden brown and toasty.
- Feel free to add chopped onions, peas, zucchini, spinach . . . any veggies you can think of.
- To make this vegan, just sub oil for the ghee.
- If dairy isn’t an issue, parmesan or mozzarella cheese would be great on this mushroom rice.
Ingredients Needed For Mushroom Cauliflower Rice (screenshot for grocery list)
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Italian Seasoning
- Ghee, (or olive/avocado for vegan)
- Riced Cauliflower
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Fresh Parsley
How To Make Mushroom Cauliflower Rice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- In large bowl, toss mushrooms with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, grated garlic and melted ghee.
- Grease a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange sliced mushrooms in an even layer. Bake 10-15 minutes or until browned. Half way through drain off any liquid if necessary.
- Remove from oven, salt/pepper and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large sauté pan over medium/high heat. (2-3 minutes)
- Add cauliflower rice in an even layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes without stirring to brown the bottom. Stir then cook for approximately 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Add almond milk. Stir for 30 seconds to allow almond milk to absorb. Add mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until combined then remove from heat and serve.
More Cauliflower Rice Recipes:
I cheat and buy already riced cauliflower. If you are making you own, check this out: HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Nutrition Information Yield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 148Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 25mgSodium 186mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 5g
I cheat and buy already riced cauliflower. If you are making you own, check this out: HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.