Do you have a few brown overripe bananas hanging out on your counter? If so, this Buttermilk Banana Cake Recipe with Vanilla Buttermilk Glaze must happen! This cake has the great flavor of banana bread with the perfect moist, cakey consistency. The Vanilla Buttermilk Glaze makes this cake the ultimate indulgent dessert!
I am proud to be partnering with Rodelle to bring you this tasty recipe!
Banana bread is my absolute weakness! Many years I choose to have banana bread as my birthday dessert instead of cake. Now I don’t need to choose. I’ll just have my Mommy make this Buttermilk Banana Cake Recipe with Vanilla Buttermilk Glaze for me!
This banana cake recipe creates the best texture, in my humble opinion. And the vanilla buttermilk glaze makes this a truly incredible and indulgent dessert. I use one of my all-time favorite vanilla ingredients, Rodelle Vanilla Paste. Vanilla paste adds loads of vanilla flavor as well as those gorgeous vanilla speckles in the glaze.
I adapted this Buttermilk Banana Bread recipe by Kitchen Confidante. So if you’re craving traditional banana bread, definitely go check out that recipe.
And if you want a laugh you can take a peek at one of my first recipe posts from 2012, Banana Bread Cake with Brown Butter Frosting. And those photos aren’t even original. I updated the photos a year or so later. Ummmm, maybe it’s time for me to do another photo update.
I also created this Peanut Butter, Honey & Banana Layer Cake that was inspired by my favorite sandwich from childhood.
But if you ask me, you should totally start with this Buttermilk Banana Cake Recipe with Vanilla Buttermilk Glaze because it is BOMB!
You may need a few things to make this recipe: (affiliate links)
- 1½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter – room temp
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Overripe Bananas – mashed
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar, 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Paste, 3-4 teaspoons Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Line a 9×9 square cake pan with parchment paper, grease with butter.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and bananas. Mix.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating and mixing between each addition. Do not over mix.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed clean.
- Let cool in pan before glazing.
- Mix powered sugar and vanilla paste with a fork. Add buttermilk one teaspoon at a time until it reaches a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Pour glaze over cake and spread evenly.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 256Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 35mgSodium 218mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 28gProtein 4g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
This post contains affiliate amazon links. Basically, I get a little kick back for sending you over to amazon . . . at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!56