If you ever get insane cravings for Mexican food, like I do, these Pork Verde Tacos will make you so happy! Warm buttery tortillas filled with tender shredded pork that has been drenched with tangy tomatillo sauce. Top that with cool sour cream, fresh cilantro and a spritz of lime and call it Dinner! Don’t forget to save a wedge of lime for your frosty ice cold beer.
Easy Pork Tacos
Here in California we have so many excellent authentic Mexican food restaurants. But, I’m too cheap to eat out often and I prefer to have control over the ingredients used to make the meal. There is a reason restaurant food tastes so delicious, or three reasons to be exact . . . Lard, Salt and Cheese!
Once you start making your own restaurant copycat dishes you will notice how much better you feel after eating the homemade versions. The food is so much lighter and doesn’t leave you feeling like there is a brick in your stomach.
This verde sauce is made simply with tomatillos. If you have never cooked with tomatillos they are actually very easy to prepare.
When choosing which tomatillos to purchase; make sure they are firm, green and still covered by the husk. When prepping your tomatillos, remove the husks and wash off the strange sticky film that covers the outside.
I used the leftover pork from my Slow Cooker Apple Barbeque Pulled Pork recipe. You can check out that recipe or cook whatever type of meat you prefer. Shredded chicken would be delicious in these tacos! This meaty verde sauce would taste great over rice too!
- 1 lb Tomatillos
- 2-3 Tb chopped Jalapeno, 1 small pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped White Onion, 1/2 small onion
- 2 Tb Lime Juice, 1 lime
- 4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- Pinch of Cumin
- Pinch of Chili Powder
- 2½ cups Shredded Pork*
- 1 package Tortillas
- Sour Cream, optional
- Cilantro, optional
- Shredded Cheese, optional
- Avocado, optional
- Cook and prepare the pork or meat of choice.*
- Remove husks and clean the tomatillos.
- Transfer to medium saucepan and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook on medium heat until a fork can be easily inserted (about 10-15 minutes). Turn tomatillos once while cooking.
- Once tomatillos are cooked, transfer to blender or food processor and puree (Carefully!).
- Return to saucepan and add the jalapeno, onion, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.
- Simmer on medium-low heat 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the shredded pork to the verde sauce and reheat in the sauce if necessary.
- Remove from heat.
- Grease a frypan with butter and cook each tortilla over medium heat for about 30 seconds on each side. (optional)
- Now fill each tortilla with the verde sauce meat then add the toppings you like. Enjoy!
*I used leftover meat from a previous recipe: Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Use pork, chicken or beef. Chopped, shredded or sliced. Your preference.
This recipe makes about 8-10 tacos, but it depends how much meat you stuff into each taco.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 186Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 34mgSodium 127mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 10g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
“Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises.” – Pedro Calderon de la Barca