Banana Layer Cake with Peanut Butter and Honey Frosting. This fun and easy naked layer cake will take you back to your childhood! The perfect blend of peanut butter, honey and banana in one impressive dessert recipe!
Doesn’t every kid have a favorite type of sandwich? I imagine it usually involves peanut butter and some type of jelly or maybe grilled cheese.
My favorite was Peanut Butter, Banana and Honey Sandwiches!
Ahhh, to be a kid again. Digging in the dirt, building forts and eating PB/B/H Sandwiches without a care in the world.
A while back I started reminiscing about my favorite childhood sandwich and decided I wanted to create a recipe inspired by it. That is how this Banana Layer Cake with Peanut Butter and Honey Frosting came about.
Two moist layers of banana cake, filled with peanut butter frosting then topped with honey frosting. Serve with fresh banana slices, peanuts and drizzled honey for the ultimate cake experience!
I am not a baker that loves to make cakes as a form of relaxation. I find it tedious. Once the cakes are baked, I’m over it. I don’t want to decorate. I want to eat!
That is why I absolutely love the new popular fad of naked cakes (or rustic cakes). Just slap some frosting in between the cake layers and on top . . . Done. Eat. Yes!
The peanut butter frosting works great as the filling because it is thick and doesn’t squish out.
Top with creamy honey frosting, salted peanuts and fresh bananas. Perfection.
A whimsical cake that takes me back to my childhood.
[Tweet “Sweet & Salty! Banana Layer Cake with Peanut Butter & Honey Frosting”]
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Butter - softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter, creamy or crunchy
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 Ripe Bananas - mashed
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Salted Peanuts
- Fresh Sliced Bananas
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Mix butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Add Greek yogurt, eggs and peanut butter. Mix.
- Add bananas and vanilla. Mix.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Mix dry ingredients into wet.
- Generously grease 2 round (8 inch) cake pans. Divide batter between the two pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer cakes to racks and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using whisk attachment; beat butter with powdered sugar (gradually add powdered sugar) until light and fluffy. (about 5 minutes) Mix in heavy cream. Divide frosting in half.
- Whip peanut butter into one of the plain frosting batches. Whip honey into the other.
- Place one cake onto platter or cake stand. Pipe or spread peanut butter frosting on top. Leave about 1/2 inch non frosted around the edges.
- Gently place second cake on top. Spread honey frosting on top.
- Decorate cake with peanuts, sliced bananas and honey immediately before serving.