How many of you have gone to pull a ripe banana from a bunch only to have the tops of all the bananas come along with it? Then you either have to eat all the bananas, figure out a use for them or throw them out.Well, a few days back that happened to me for the umpteenth time. Since I had no desire to eat five bananas that day and I don’t like to throw away perfectly good food, I decided to check around the blogs for tasty banana recipes. Wouldn’t you know it, I came across an amazing recipe for Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter Frosting on Life’s Simple Measures. I knew immediately that this was the recipe for me and my bananas. I love banana bread & add frosting . . . Yes Please!
I did make some changes to the recipe. Mine is more of a cake than a bar and I added some spices. I also added cream cheese and decreased the frosting recipe. So technically I made: Banana Bread Cake with Brown Butter ~ Cream Cheese Frosting (Sheesh… that’s a mouth full!)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Soft Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 4 Smooshed Bananas
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tb Milk
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon, optional
For The Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the butter, sugars, sour cream, greek yogurt and eggs until smooth.
- Add the bananas and vanilla then give it a quick stir.
- Next add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts.
- Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13 cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
For The Frosting
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat, let it boil for several minutes.
- Give it a stir every minute or so and pay attention to the color.
- Once the butter has turned a golden amber color remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla, milk cinnamon and cream cheese.
- Continue to whisk together until creamy.
- Once the cake is finished baking, remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Then spread the frosting onto the cake and top with chopped walnuts (opt).
I also added 1/2 cup of roughly chopped walnuts on top of the cake.
I line my cake pan with greased foil and once the cake has cooled, I simply lift the entire cake out of the pan and onto a cutting board to cut slices.
I have made this cake successfully with 1 cup of Greek yogurt and omitted the sour cream.
Adapted from Life’s Simple Measures
The last step is the best … Start shoveling cake into your mouth like so!
Then ask your Mom to take the remaining slices to work with her before you eat the entire cake within a 24 hour period.
(This last step may just have been necessary for me)
In my family we get to request what type of cake we want on our birthday. I always asked for banana bread instead of cake. Problem solved, I can have the best of both worlds.Now I just have to wait until October for another luscious piece of Banana Bread Cake … or until I accidentally rip the tops off of all the bananas again.I hope you decide to give this recipe a try, it really is Amazing!