No need for a drive-thru dinner, make this Grilled Spicy Chicken Sandwich Recipe instead. Pan fried or grilled chicken breast, spicy mayo, a whole green chile, pepper jack cheese, tomatoes and lettuce on a soft golden bun.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
This isn’t the sad barely warm fast-food chicken sandwich. This is a fresh, flavorful, big-bite sandwich!
I prefer a grilled chicken over batter and fried. Not only is it healthier, but it is much easier to make at home. This recipe is for a pan-seared chicken breast. If using a bbq grill just fire it up and grill the chicken to 165ºF internal temp, placing the cheese and green chile on right before the chicken is done.
As far as the chicken seasoning, use your favorite spicy blend. I use Penzeys Arizona Dreaming blend (link in the recipe below). Or a simple mix of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne works too.
Ingredients Needed For This Chicken Sandwich (screenshot for grocery list)
- Boneless Chicken Breast
- Spicy Seasoning Blend
- Sliced Pepperjack Cheese
- Whole Green Chiles
- Hot Sauce
- Chili Powder
More Copycat Fast Food Recipes:
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 teaspoons Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 2 Slices Pepperjack Cheese
- 2 Whole Green Chiles
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- Hot Sauce - to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tomato - sliced
- Leaf Lettuce
- 2 Soft Buns
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness of no more than 1 inch thick. Season with spice blend, salt and pepper.
- Heat nonstick fry pan over medium/high heat. Add a drizzle of oil.
- Place chicken breasts into pan and fry 4-5 minutes each side (to 165ºF internal temp). Just before the chicken breasts are cooked through, add sliced pepperjack cheese and chiles on top.
- Mix mayo, hot sauce and chili powder. Slather mayo onto top and bottom buns.
- Place chicken breasts onto bottom buns. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and top bun. Serve.
For a warmed bun: I use a mesh splatter screen when cooking the chicken breast. The last minute I place the buns on top of the screen to warm/steam them. You can also warm the buns in a 250ºF oven for 2-3 minutes if preferred.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 651Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 138mgSodium 2490mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 51g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.