Meximelts are my guilty pleasure. This Beef Meximelt Recipe (inspired by Taco Bell) is super easy, unbelievably delicious and so much better than the drive-thru. Make a copycat version of your fast food favorite at home for an awesome lunch or dinner.
Taco Bell Inspired Meximelt Copycats
It is unbelievable that it has taken me this long to get a Mexi-Melt recipe on my site because they are my absolute favorite fast food indulgence. Plus they are ridiculously easy to make at home and (in my humble opinion) taste so much better homemade.
Were Meximelts Discontinued In 2019
That’s the word on the street (and the web). Apparently Taco Bell revamped their menu in 2019 and decided to give Mexi-melts the ax. Weird because I can’t be the only Meximelt obsessed person.
However, I don’t really do fast food anymore so I cannot say for sure. I haven’t been to Taco Bell in ages. If you know for sure leave me a comment.
My Secret For The Best Copycat Mexi-Melts
I think what makes these so close to the original is the size of the ground beef. Taco Bell taco meat is very small, not the bigger chunks like in homemade tacos. So I use this Potato Masher to achieve the fine ground beef crumbles. I like kitchen gadgets that do double duty. Or, you can use a Meat Chopper instead.
Ingredients Needed For Beef Mexi-Melts (screenshot for grocery list)
- Lean Ground Beef
- (1 ounce) Packet Taco Seasoning
- Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Pico de Gallo Salsa
How To Make Homemade Taco Bell Meximelts
- In large pan, brown ground beef. Drain oil then return to pan.
- Add water and taco seasoning. Mash meat to fine crumbles. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and simmer 5-10 minutes until saucy. Remove from heat.
- Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and microwave 15-20 seconds to soften.
- Fill each tortilla with meat, cheese and pico de gallo. Tuck in the ends and roll like a burrito.
- Wrap each meximelt with a damp paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds. (This melts the cheese and gives the tortilla that slightly steamed quality)
- Serve hot.
More Mexican Food Recipes:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Nutrition Information Yield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 624Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 139mgSodium 977mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 44g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.