Make this Salisbury Hamburger Steak Recipe whenever you are craving a comfort food dinner. Juicy hamburger steaks in brown gravy with onions and mushrooms. Great served over mashed potatoes, rice, pasta or served with vegetables.
SALISBURY STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
This is such a great dinner recipe because it is quick, easy, satisfying and the entire family will love it! Seasoned hamburger patties with a perfectly seared crust swimming in a rich brown gravy loaded with mushrooms and onion. What is not to love?
This Salisbury Steak dish comes together in about 30 minutes and tastes great over potatoes, rice or pasta. My favorite way to serve is over creamy mashed potatoes.
- I’m use 80/20 gound beef for this recipe. You can use any ground meat that you like (chicken, turkey, beef).
- I use cremini (baby Bella) mushrooms in this recipe but feel free to use another type of mushroom.
- Be sure to salt and pepper the sauce to your preference. Because there is onion soup mix and Worcestershire sauce there is no need to add extra salt.
- You could substitute chicken broth in place of beef broth.
IS SALISBURY STEAK JUST A HAMBURGER PATTY?
No, Salisbury steak is ground beef with the addition of bread crumbs and seasonings. Hamburger patties are typically plain seasoned with salt, pepper and maybe some garlic or onion powder.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HAMBURGER STEAKS:
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 package Lipton onion soup/dip mix
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Fresh chopped parsley - garnish
- Mix the ground beef, panko, soup mix, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl. Combine with your hands until fully incorporated.
- Form into four ½-inch thick hamburger patties.
- Using your thumb, press down the center of each patty to create an indentation.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add hamburger patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Make the cornstarch slurry by mixing 2 tablespoons cornstarch with ¼ cup water.
- Pour the slurry into the sauce. Stir for 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the hamburger patties back to the skillet. Garnish with parsley and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 625Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 185mgSodium 977mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 53g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.