Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese is a classic comfort food. This is a three-cheese baked macaroni and cheese recipe, made using gruyere, white cheddar, and parmesan cheese topped with crunchy buttery panko!
Homemade Macaroni And Cheese
The ultimate comfort food has to be macaroni and cheese. Everybody has their favorite version. I typically enjoy the stovetop velveeta type of Mac n cheese. But a super cheesy baked version like this one is also a favorite.
Perfect for holidays as a side dish that everyone will look forward to.
Apart from the mentioned three kinds of cheese, you can also use Gouda, sharp cheddar, Monterey jack cheese, parmesan, etc.
Elbow Macaroni is the standard pasta used for Mac and cheese. But, feel free to use your favorite sturdy pasta instead.
This recipe calls for garlic powder and paprika. Your favorite complimenting spices can be added to up the flavor. If you like a little kick, add a pinch of cayenne.
CAN BAKED MAC AND CHEESE BE PREPARED AHEAD:
This recipe can be prepared ahead till step 9 then cover and refrigerated. Before baking, thaw the baking dish for at least 10 minutes and then bake for 25-30 minutes.
MAC AND CHEESE STORAGE AND REHEATING INSTRUCTIONS:
Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. Use within 3 days.
To reheat, top with 2-3 tablespoons cubed butter. Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS MACARONI AND CHEESE:
MORE PASTA RECIPES:
- 8 oz Elbow Macaroni
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 ½ cups Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 cup White Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- ½ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Chopped Parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Cook the macaroni pasta according to the package instructions(minus 1 minute) in salted water. Once done, drain the water and set it aside.
- In a 3Qt dutch oven add butter on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, sprinkle the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the flour starts to change color.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until the sauce is smooth without any lumps and starts to thicken.
- Add in the spices; ground mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika, and cook for a couple of minutes until everything comes together.
- Remove the dutch oven from the heat and add in the grated cheeses; white cheddar, Gruyere, and mozzarella cheese until melted.
- To the cheesy sauce add in the cooked macaroni. Mix until the sauce is evenly coated.
- Transfer the cheesy macaroni to a rectangular baking dish (9X13) and spread evenly.
- Prepare the toppings by combining the ingredients in a small bowl; panko bread crumbs, butter, and red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the baking dish and place it in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once done, garnish the baked macaroni and cheese with chopped parsley and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 773Total Fat 52gSaturated Fat 30gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 152mgSodium 1272mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 2gSugar 10gProtein 33g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.