This Thanksgiving, trade in the tin can for this Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe! Make a full flavored holiday cranberry sauce with tart cranberries, sweet cherries and zesty orange.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce is one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving. I grew up eating the sauce shaped like a can and it was my favorite even back then. Several years ago I finally decided to give a homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe a try . . . Mind Blown!
First of all, how did I not know how simple it is to make cranberry sauce at home? Second, you can add whatever flavors and ingredients you want. Make it tangy, sweet, savory or even spicy.
Last year I made Cranberry Apple Sauce and for this Thanksgiving I decided to make Cranberry Cherry Sauce. Both are great if you like your sauce to be sweet and tangy.
This post has two recipes for the price of one! Make a large batch of cranberry sauce and use some to make an extra Thanksgiving dessert.
And if you have any leftovers, be sure to check out my Cranberry Sauce Smoothie Recipe!
- 1 Cup Dark Cherry Juice
- Juice and Zest of 1 Large Orange
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Dried Cherries
- 24 oz Fresh Cranberries, sorted & cleaned
For Cranberries & Cream
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Cool Whip
- Combine the cherry juice, orange juice, zest, sugar and salt in a large saucepan.
- Over medium heat, dissolve the sugar while stirring for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cherries and cranberries. Partially cover pot with lid or foil to prevent spatter.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, stir frequently the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator.
For Cranberries and Cream
- Leave about 2 cups of cranberry sauce in the pan and decrease the heat to medium/low.
- Add the heavy cream and sugar.
- Stir and heat until the sugar dissolves. (about 1-2 minutes)
- Remove from heat, transfer to a container and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve cold with generous amounts of Cool Whip!
This cranberry sauce and cranberry dessert are better if prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 324Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 17mgSodium 118mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 4gSugar 58gProtein 1g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Cranberries and Cream will be a new and interesting Thanksgiving dessert option. And a little bit goes a long way!
More For Your Thanksgiving Table:1