The wonderful combination of lemon and poppy seeds in a silky smooth ice cream. This Lemon Poppy Seed Ice Cream is easy to make and does not require an ice cream machine!
I decided to join the Lucky Leaf Recipe Contest hosted by Something Swanky. I wanted to think of a new and unexpected way to use a can of pie filling. If you have spent any time on my site, you know that I am a HUGE ice cream lover! So, when brainstorming recipe ideas my thoughts naturally went to ice cream. Really, I should create an entire site dedicated to ice cream!
This ice cream gives you a ton of flavor and texture with very little effort. The base is made with milk, cream, sugar and a secret ingredient . . . Lemon Pie Filling! Add the poppy seeds for a fabulous crunch. That’s it! You have an unbelievably rich and creamy lemon ice cream filled with bursting poppy seeds.
This ice cream is perfect for me because I love the lemon and poppy seed combination. But I’m a weirdo that doesn’t really like muffins. So now I can enjoy the flavor without having to eat a lemon poppy seed muffin.
Lemon Poppy Seed Ice Cream is just the beginning. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think that any pie filling could be used to make ice cream and Lucky Leaf has a ton of flavors to choose from.
That is why I love participating in contests and challenges. I’m not really competitive, but it gets me thinking outside of the box and using new ingredients in different ways.
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Tb Ultrafine Sugar
- 1 (21 oz) Can Lemon Crème or Lemon Pie Filling
- 1/2 Tb Poppy Seeds
- Using a hand mixer or immersion blender; mix the cream, milk, sugar and pie filling until fully incorporated. It will be the consistency of pudding.
- Transfer mixture to a freezer safe container. (I use a loaf pan)
- Add the poppy seeds and gently stir to spread seeds throughout the ice cream mixture.
- Cover and freeze for 4-6 hours. (or overnight)
- Remove ice cream from freezer 20-30 minutes before serving.
”When life gives you lemon pie filling, make lemon poppy seed ice cream.” – Nicole
I love a good party! I’ve been known to share my delicious creations at THESE awesome parties!