This STREET CORN SOUP RECIPE is a quick, easy, flavorful dinner. A creamy soup loaded with corn and garnished with cilantro, jalapenos, limes and cotija cheese.
Street corn soup is a creamy, flavorful soup inspired by Mexican street corn, also known as “elote”.
This soup is between a soup and a chowder. A thick creamy soup filled with corn. We are using frozen corn making this meal extra simple to prepare. Then it’s just a matter of choosing your favorite toppings to add even more flavor.
CORN – I prefer frozen corn and never, ever use canned corn. Canned corn will work in a pinch but it will be a different texture than frozen or fresh. Fresh corn would be delicious if it’s in season. If using canned corn, drain and rinse the corn before using it.
CHEESE – Traditionally, Mexican street corn is topped with cotija cheese, but if you can’t find cotija, you can use queso fresco or crumbled feta.
Can I make this soup vegan?
Yes, you can use canned full-fat coconut milk for the creaminess, and omit the cheese or replace it with a vegan cheese.
MORE RECIPES USING CORN:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- Tortilla strips
- Sliced jalapeno
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Cotija or Queso Fresco cheese
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add in the frozen corn, broth, and heavy cream. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the corn kernels are soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend half of the soup until smooth. Alternatively, add 2 cups of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir the blended soup back into the pot and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
*If the soup is too thin, add more heavy cream. If it’s too thick, add more broth.
**Leftovers will store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat over medium heat with a little broth to thin it out.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 304Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 69mgSodium 797mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 8g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.