Nothing screams Springtime quite like a fresh fruit salad recipe. This Orange Berry Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing is bursting with fresh berries, mandarin oranges and tossed with a honey mandarin orange poppy seed dressing. Just a simple, sweet, nutritious treat! This recipe is Paleo compliant, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free and grain free.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more info.
Healthy Fruit Salad Recipe
I’m very lucky to not have a picky eater in my home. My daughter eats just about anything and everything. Fruits, veggies, proteins, carbs and my many, many strange recipe experiments. She happily eats them all (sometimes with a little side eye) and gives her brutally honest taste tester opinion.
Her absolute favorite thing to eat is berries. There is no side eye when it comes to berries.
Living in California we have access to fresh berries for almost half the year. There are loads of strawberry fields in our area and we stop by twice a week during the strawberry season 🍓❤
So while we typically eat our berries fresh and plain, this Orange Berry Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing is great for those berries that are getting a little soft and need to be used up quick. Because this fresh fruit salad will be devoured very quickly!
Can this berry salad be made ahead?
Yes, absolutely! The raspberries begin to break down a bit. So if that is bothersome, just prepare everything but the raspberries and add those before serving.
What should you serve with this berry salad?
This can be a side dish for just about any meal. This berry salad is also sweet enough to be a nutritious dessert. Or, add yogurt (dairy free yogurt if preferred) topped with granola for an amazing breakfast!
What tools do you need for this recipe?
You will need a Citrus Juicer for the oranges. I use this OXO Dressing Shaker to mix up all of my dressings perfectly. Quality, sharp knives are always good to have in your kitchen. I use these Chef’s Foundry Ceramic Knives and LOVE them!
More recipes to use up those berries →
Lime Strawberry Sorbet Recipe by Lemons for Lulu
Strawberry Lemonade Sun Tea
Coconut Berry Popsicles by What Great Grandma Ate
Beets & Berries Smoothie by Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Berry Spinach Salad by Fit Mitten Kitchen
Balsamic Mixed Berries by Happy Food Healthy Life
Tips → Tricks → Suggestions →
- The dressing recipe makes enough for tossing the fruit salad and extra for serving. If your crowd prefers a lightly dressed salad, decrease the dressing recipe by half.
- When stirring the sauce into the berry salad, do so very gently to prevent the berries from breaking apart.
- Feel free to substitute any of the berries with your favorite fruits. Or just add more fruit. Grapes, apples, kiwi, cherries or pineapple would all be great additions.
- 16 ounces Strawberries, (tops removed, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 8 ounces Blueberries
- 8 ounces Blackberries
- 8 ounces Raspberries
- 5 Mandarin Oranges, (peeled, segmented)
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mandarin Orange Juice, (or regular fresh orange juice)
- 2 teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Mix dressing ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Gently toss fruit in half of the poppy seed dressing. Reserve the remaining dressing for serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 228Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 40mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 8gSugar 45gProtein 3g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.