This SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE is a hearty Cajun inspired dinner. You’ll feel like you’re in New Orleans while eating this flavorful gumbo filled with fresh shrimp, sausage and crab.
CRAB AND SHRIMP GUMBO
Perfect for your Mardi Gras celebrations, this gumbo is packed with flavor and lots of seafood. Crab, shrimp and sausage are the stars of this meal; swimming in a rich broth.
WHAT IS SEAFOOD GUMBO MADE OF?
Starting with a roux base then the Cajun trinity of green bell peppers, onions and celery. Then comes the broth, loads of spices and lastly the seafood.
- Add any additional proteins you prefer.
- The pickled okra is optional, feel free to omit.
- Adjust spices and seasonings to fit your tastes.
- Butter can be used in place of oil to make the roux.
WHAT ARE THE THREE TYPES OF GUMBO?
There are three main types of gumbo; Sausage Gumbo, Chicken Gumbo and Seafood Gumbo.
MORE CAJUN INSPIRED RECIPES:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion - chopped
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 green onion - sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Pickled Okra (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay
- 2 tablespoons Onion Powder
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- Ground Black Pepper - to taste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Chilli Peppers (optional - for spicy)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 2 cooked crab claws
- 12 ounces lump crab meat
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges - to garnish
- Rice of your choice, cooked according to instructions.
- In large saucepan, fry sliced sausage to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add oil to saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring continuously with a whisk, until dark brown (approximately 15 minutes).
- Add parsley, green onion, sweet onion, celery, carrots, green bell pepper.
- Stir together, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In large Dutch oven, add Chicken Broth and water.
- Transfer mixture from saucepan to dutch oven.
- Add all spices except Chili Peppers.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes, covered.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, chili peppers, and parsley.
- Simmer on low for another 20 minutes, covered. Remove chili peppers.
- Add in shrimp and sausage. Cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Stir in crab meat.
- Serve along with cooked rice.
- Garnish with additional green onions or parsley if desired.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 701Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 33gCholesterol 225mgSodium 2882mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 38g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.