New Orleans Style Barbecued Shrimp is my absolute favorite dish. You don’t need a bbq grill to make these barbecue shrimp. Just lemon, garlic, worcestershire sauce, cajun spices, shrimp and lots of butter!
New Orleans Style Shrimp Recipe
I dream about New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp! Plump flavorful shrimp swimming in melted butter and savory spices. Just pure, uncomplicated pleasure.
My mom and I used to vacation in New Orleans every year. There is so much unbelievably amazing food in New Orleans!
That is what we did on our vacations . . . Eat! Well okay, back then I also hung out on Bourbon Street and drank about 10 gallons of beer!
We used to frequent the Cafe Pontalba, an open air cafe located right on the corner of Jackson Square. It has a good view, cold beer and fantastic New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp!
We would sit at the bar with a cold draft beer and an order of Barbecue Shrimp. Watch the people and street performers walking by the cafe. Chat with the friendly bartender.
Enjoying the sounds and the smells of the French Quarter. The clickity clack of silverware on dishes. The faint sound of jazz music echoing through the quarter.
That is the memory that this dish brings back. My carefree vacations to New Orleans.
Authentic New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp are drenched in much more butter than in this recipe. I used a measly one stick of butter. You can add 2 more sticks for a true French Quarter cafe experience.
The barbecue shrimp at Cafe Pontalba were soaking in about half an inch of herbs/spices and two inches of melted butter.
Calories don’t exist while you are on vacation . . . right!?!
So make this dish and don’t skimp on the butter. Or better yet, add more butter!
Buy the best shrimp that you can find. I just wish that I could get shrimp with the heads on. That’s not an option in my area so I just bought the jumbo-monster shrimp.
And whatever you do, do not try to be tidy while eating this dish.
Slurp those buttery shrimp.
Rip off a piece of bread and dip it in the delicious sauce.
Lick your fingers and love every minute of it!
Laissez les bons temps rouler . . . Let the good times roll.
- 1½ lbs Jumbo Shrimp, deveined - heads on if available
- 1 Lemon - cut into wedges
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 2 tsp Salt Free - Cajun Seasoning
- 6 Garlic Cloves - finely chopped
- Small Pinch Salt
- Small Pinch Dried Thyme
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- 3 Tb Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Stick Cold Unsalted Butter - cubed
- Mix together the pepper, cajun seasoning, garlic, salt, thyme, olive oil and worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Preheat large cast iron pan on medium/high heat for 30-60 seconds.
- Place shrimp in an even layer in the pan.
- Pour spice mixture over the shrimp.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on size) until the shrimp turn pink and begin to curl.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the lemon wedges while squeezing slightly.
- Begin adding the butter cubes 3-4 at a time.
- Once the butter is melted, remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with a crusty bread loaf.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 461Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 420mgSodium 3753mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 40g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
More Of My Favorite Recipes: