This Easy Shrimp Creole Recipe is a quick, nutritious dinner idea that the entire family will love. A little spice and a lot of flavor will make this dish a new favorite. Skip the rice and this meal is Keto-friendly, low carb, Whole30 and Paleo.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more info.
Healthy Shrimp Creole Sauce
Shrimp Creole is one of those meals that transports you right into the French Quarter, New Orleans. I used to visit New Orleans every year, mostly to enjoy all that great Cajun food. There’s nothing like it anywhere else.
Now I make the famous creole recipes right at home to cure my New Orleans cravings. Because I seriously crave that Cajun food!
This Shrimp Creole is great because it is really simple to make and very nutritious. Plump shrimp in a spicy, flavorful red sauce served over rice. . .Louisiana in a bowl!
Here are more Cajun inspired recipes: Cajun Shrimp & Rice Casserole – Cauli Dirty ‘Rice’ – Cajun Shrimp Pasta – Cajun Boiled Peanuts – Blackened Salmon – Chicken Sausage Gumbo – New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp
What Is Creole Sauce Made Of
The sauce is a simple blend of onions, peppers, celery, garlic, Cajun seasoning, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce. Cook the shrimp right in the bubbling sauce then serve with rice.
Pure, simple food at its best.
Ingredients Needed For Easy Shrimp Creole (screenshot for grocery list)
Green Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
Can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
Large Shrimp (peeled, deveined)
How To Make Shrimp Creole
Heat oil in large pot over medium/high heat. Add onions, bell peppers and celery to the pot and sauté until tender.
Add garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
Add Cajun season, bay leaves, tomatoes, water, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens to desired consistency (approx 5-10 minutes). Add shrimp to pot and cook until shrimp is pink on the outside, opaque and cooked through on the inside.
Remove from heat and serve with fresh parsley, lemon wedges and rice.
NOTES: For Keto, Whole30 and Paleo – omit Worcestershire sauce and do not serve with rice.
What To Serve With Shrimp Creole
- ¼ Cup Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion (chopped)
- 1 Small Green Bell Pepper (seeds removed, chopped)
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper (seeds removed, chopped)
- 3 Large Celery Stalks (chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (grated or finely chopped)
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 28 oz Can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt/Pepper (to taste)
- Hot Sauce (to taste - optional)
- 2 Lbs Thawed Shrimp (peeled, deveined)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium/high heat. Add onions, bell peppers and celery to the pot and saute until tender.
- Add garlic, saute for 1 minute.
- Add Cajun season, bay leaves, tomatoes, water, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens to desired consistency (approx 5-10 minutes). Add shrimp to pot and cook until shrimp is pink on the outside, opaque and cooked through on the inside.
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh parsley, lemon wedges and rice.
*** For Keto, Whole30 and Paleo – omit Worcestershire sauce and do not serve with rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 232Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 239mgSodium 1636mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 27g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.