This super easy macaroni and cheese recipe is ready in 30 minutes or less! Mexi Style Stovetop Mac and Cheese is a blend of cheeses, taco seasoning and green chiles for the ultimate comfort food dinner. With a three cheese blend, Velveeta and Crema this is sure to be the ooey-gooey-cheesy deliciousness that you crave!
Do you love mac and cheese? Do you love a little spice and Mexican flavor? Do you love quick and easy recipes? Yes✓ Yes✓ Yes✓ . . . Then you are going to LOVE this Mexi Style Stovetop Mac and Cheese!
Stovetop Mac and Cheese is one of those comfort foods that bring me back to my childhood. How great was it when Mom would serve box mac ‘n cheese with cut up hot dogs for lunch!?!? That was one of my favorite childhood meals. Well, that and peanut butter banana and honey sandwiches.
I like to take my childhood favorites and make grown up versions with a twist. I made my favorite sandwich into Banana Layer Cake with Peanut Butter and Honey Frosting. Then I turned my favorite childhood drink into a Dirty Shirley Temple Cocktail. Now I’m making beloved mac and cheese into a mildly spiced, super cheesy meal!
I used Ortega fire roasted diced green chiles, McCormick taco seasoning and Chipotle Tabasco Sauce to give it a kick. Shredded three cheese blend and Velveeta make this mac n cheese ooey-gooey. Then I add Cacique Crema to get that over-the-top creaminess!
That is the great thing about making your own mac and cheese. You choose what type of noodle you want. Then use your favorite cheeses and spices to make it your own.
I still use the box mac and cheese in a pinch. But when I really want to make a meal of it I make Stovetop Mac and Cheese!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
Email ::: Facebook ::: Twitter ::: Pinterest ::: Instagram
Mexi Style Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounce Shell Pasta
- 1½ Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded 3 Cheese Blend
- 8 ounces Original Velveeta - cubed
- 1/2 Cup Crema
- 4 ounces Mild Diced Green Chiles - drained
- 2 teaspoons Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons Chipotle Tabasco, or hot sauce of choice
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Prep all ingredients before you begin.
- Heat milk in 3 quart pot over medium heat while stirring until it begins to steam.
- Add shredded cheese, Velveeta and crema. Stir to melt.
- Stir in chiles, taco seasoning and Tabasco. Continue to heat and stir until sauce begins to bubble.
- Add cooked pasta to pot, stir and heat 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Crema can be found in the refrigerated Hispanic foods section. (usually near the sour cream, refrigerated salsas and/or refrigerated tortillas)
Adapted from Food Network - Ree Drummond
Malia @ Small Town Girl Blog says
Love this spin on the old classic! I bet the extra flavors makes it extra super awesome!! Pinned, sharing, and making soon! Cheers!
Nicole Harris says
Thanks Malia! I love making childhood favorites with a twist 🙂