Fritters, Hushpuppies, Fried Dough. Whatever you want to call them, I am obsessed!
This Crab Corn Fritters Recipe is just the beginning. I have many more fried balls of goodness to come.
These fritters are full of crab, corn and Cajun spices. Fried to perfection and served with creamy Tabasco dipping sauce!
I have always had a thing for fried dough!
One of the highlights of my childhood was when my family would go to Long John Silver’s for dinner. Yes, this was back when Long John Silver’s was a restaurant. Back in the 80’s . . . Holla!
I would douse my fried fish with malt vinegar and eat my weight in those amazing hushpuppies. Long John Silver’s was my J-A-M!
When I visited the Caribbean in January, I was reminded of my love of hushpuppies. I ate loads of the island specialty, conch fritters.
I even posted Instagram pics of these delicious little morsels. . .
I’m obviously unable to make these conch fritters at home. Conch isn’t easy to come by here in Cali.
So, I made Spicy Crab Corn Fritters.
Fritters are really quick and easy to make. The batter comes together in abut 5 minutes. And the frying takes about 15 minutes total.
The frying is where it can get tricky. You need to keep your heat regulated so the oil isn’t too hot or too cool.
Too hot oil will cook the outside of the fritters and leave the inside gooey. We are not going for molten lava fritters here . . . Yuck!
Too cool oil and the fritters will soak up oil and you will be left with a greasy dough ball. Double Yuck!
I have never had much luck using a thermometer to gauge the oil temp.
Really, it just takes a bit of practice. Once you learn the signs of a good oil fry temp, you will be golden. And so will your fritters!
I heat about 3-4 inches of oil over medium heat while I’m preparing the batter. Then I drop a dollop of batter into the oil as a tester. Once the batter floats to the top while bubbling and sizzling it is time to go.
Carefully drop batter by the tablespoon full and fry until dark golden brown. You may need to slightly decrease the heat with each new batch of fritters because the oil will continue to get hotter.
Transfer those little golden nuggets to a paper towel.
Don’t forget that Creamy Tabasco Dipping Sauce. It really amps up the flavor here!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn - thawed
- 1 teaspoon No-Salt Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Corn Meal
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Crab Meat lump or claw
- Oil for Frying
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- Heat oil in heavy bottom pan while preparing batter.
- Mix corn, seasoning, salt, eggs, flour, corn meal, baking powder and crab until flour is fully incorporated.
- Drop small dollop of batter into oil as a tester.
- Once oil is ready, drop batter by the tablespoon into oil.
- Fry in small batches until deep golden brown. (about 4 minutes) Be careful as the corn may pop while frying.
- Transfer fritters to paper towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Mix all ingredients and serve with fritters.
More Cajun Flavor . . .1