This JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN SOUP has all the great flavors of jalapeño poppers in a hearty bowl of thick soup. Cream cheese, bacon, jalapenos and shredded cheese make this soup extra flavorful.
CREAMY CHICKEN SOUP
This is a comfort-food soup. The cream, cream cheese, bacon and shredded cheeses definitely makes it a rich, decadent soup. It is thick like a chowder with all of the great flavors of a jalapeño popper.
- You can use homemade cooked chicken, store bought rotisserie chicken just makes this a super easy recipe.
- Reserved bacon fat can be replaced with butter or your choice of oil.
- Add more jalapeños if you like it spicy.
- Add a little more chicken broth if a thinner soup is preferred.
- Give the peppers a taste before beginning, this will give you an idea of how spicy that specific pepper is. Jalapeños can vary in their spice levels.
- Add the bacon at the end, that way it keeps its texture.
MORE JALAPEÑO POPPER INSPIRED RECIPES:
- 12 oz bacon
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2-3 large jalapeno peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups freshly shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 lb red potatoes, washed
- 3 cups pulled rotisserie chicken
- Bread crumb topping (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- Bread crumb topping
- Minced bacon
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh jalapeno
- Cut the bacon into bite sized pieces. Fry bacon in batches in soup pot over medium high heat. Once all the bacon has been cooked, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour the leftover bacon grease from the soup pot into a heat-safe dish, set aside.
- Return the soup pot to the stove. Add the chopped onions, chopped jalapeno peppers, and a couple teaspoons of the reserved bacon grease to the pot. Saute the vegetables over medium-high heat until they begin to soften and caramelize.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the reserved bacon grease, flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the pot. Mix everything together and cook on medium heat while stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth and lemon juice into the pot while stirring continuously. Cover and let simmer while you prepare the potatoes.
- Cube the potatoes into bite sized pieces, leaving the skins on. Add to the pot of broth.
Bring the soup to a light boil, cover and let boil stirring occasionally until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Reduce heat to a very light simmer. Add the heavy cream and softened cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese has melted completely.
- Slowly add the freshly grated pepper jack and cheddar cheeses a little at a time, letting it melt and incorporate before adding more.
- Add the pulled rotisserie chicken to the soup.
- Just before you are ready to serve add the bacon as well, reserving a little of the bacon to use as a garnish.
- Serve the soup with the bread crumb topping, reserved bacon pieces crumbled, sliced fresh jalapenos, and additional cheese.
To make the topping melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
Pour the butter over ¾ cup of panko bread crumbs.
Add the smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, and dried parsley.
Mix well and spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Toast the bread crumbs in a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, watching carefully.
Remove from the oven and let cool. Use the toasted crumbs to top the soup.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1156Total Fat 75gSaturated Fat 34gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 315mgSodium 2893mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 74g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.