If you are fig obsessed, like me, this snack is definitely for you! I wait all year to binge on fresh, plump and juicy figs. Until then I satisfy my cravings with dried figs. I decided I wanted to try making my own fruit and nut energy bites so the obvious ingredient choice was dried figs.
I’m happy to report that these Fig & Walnut Energy Bites turned out Awesome on the first try (that almost never happens)!
These unassuming little bites at packed with nutritious ingredients, simple to make, a great snack on the go . . . And, they taste similar to the filling inside a Fig Newton! Yeah, you read that right. Fig Newton filling without the dry, flavorless cookie exterior.
If you remember from my Brown Rice Pudding post, I am not a morning person. So, not only are these a great snack they are the perfect breakfast for me.
- 1/2 Cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1/2 Cup Dried Pitted Medjool Dates 10 Dates
- 1 Cup Dried Mission Figs 20 Figs
- 1 & 1/2 Tb Raw Honey
- 1 Tb Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- In a food processor, blend the oats into a powder.
- Add the dates (always double check that the pits have all been removed from the dates).
- Blend until the dates are a thick paste.
- Remove stems from the dried figs and blend into the mixture.
- Now add the honey and coconut oil.
- Pulse until all ingredients are combined into an extremely thick paste.
- Place mixture into the refrigerator to cool and set.
- Process the walnuts to your desired size.
- Remove the fig mixture from the refrigerator and begin rolling into bite sized balls.
- Roll each ball into the chopped walnuts and place into a sealed container.
I also stuffed walnuts into the middle of each energy bite.
Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
This recipe makes approximately 16 Fig & Walnut Energy Bites (depending on size).
Take a bite! So tasty. Now I got figs on the brain, I can’t wait for summertime!
“The captain sat in a commodore’s hat
And dined in a royal way
On toasted pigs and pickles and figs
And gummery bread each day.”
– Charles Edward Carryl
Feel free to leave a question/comment or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I love a good party! I’ve been known to share my delicious creations at THESE awesome parties!