These Holiday Jeweled Krispy Treats are great for a last minute Christmas or New Year’s dessert. This crispy treat recipe is inspired by fruit cake with a hint of rum flavor and colorful candied fruit!
Every year I buy several containers of candied fruit with the intention of attempting to recreate my Grandma’s famous fruit cake recipe. And every year I totally drop the ball and have to figure out ways to use up all that candied fruit. Last year I made White Chocolate Fruitcake Fudge. This year I made these Holiday Jeweled Krispy Treats and will be making another fruit cake inspired recipe before Christmas.
The holiday season is very busy but I could make time to bake a fruit cake. I think subconciously I just don’t want to be disappointed. My grandma made The Best fruit cake. Unfortunately, when she passed away her much loved recipe was nowhere to be found.
Her famous fruit cake was super moist and full of cheerful candied fruit. Oh, and the cake was swimming in booze! I’m not even sure if it was brandy or rum because the last time I had a slice I was 15 years old. I didn’t know the difference between brandy or rum. She was also from Germany so who knows if she put some secret German flair inside her cakes.
I’m sure I’ll try to recreate the recipe someday. But for now maybe I’ll just stick to fruit cake inspired recipes while I reminisce about my grandma’s perfect cakes.
Here are a few traditional fruit cake recipes from around the web:
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Package Standard Large Marshmallows, 16 oz
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter - cut into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Rum Extract
- 6 Cups Crispy Rice Cereal, that's a little less than 1 standard box
- 1 Cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1 Cup Chopped Candied Red & Green Cherries and Pineapple, found in the seasonal baking section
- Prepare a 9x9 pan by lining with foil and generously greasing with shortening.
- In an extra large bowl, combine large marshmallows and butter. Microwave for 1½-2 minutes until marshmallows become a large blob. Remove from microwave and immediately stir in vanilla and rum extract. Stir until combined and butter is completely melted.
- Add crispy rice cereal and stir until half way mixed. Then add mini marshmallows and candied fruit. Stir mixture until fully combined.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Press down until crispy treats are even and firm. Cover and refrigerate 2+ hours to set.
- Remove treats from pan and peel off foil. Cut into 9 squares.