This Cherry Chipotle Slow Cooker Barbacoa Recipe is the perfect meal to serve to family and friends this summer. Keep entertaining easy with this flavorful crockpot recipe. The tart cherry and chipotle combo make this unique dish unforgettable. This recipe is Paleo compliant, dairy free, gluten free and great for meal prep.
This post is sponsored by ©Knudsen & Sons, Inc. All opinions are my own.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more info. Follow WonkyWonderful on Pinterest to stay up to date on all of the new recipes! This recipe was originally published on July 18, 2018.
Crockpot Beef Barbacoa Recipe
Not only does this barbacoa recipe come together quick and easy, it’s great for feeding a crowd. It’s great for summer entertaining because you don’t even have to turn on the oven and it practically makes itself!
This barbacoa gets it’s flavor from chipotle peppers and Tart Cherry Juice.
The tart fruity flavor of the juice goes perfectly with the spicy chipotles. This barbacoa beef is great in tacos, burrito bowls, on salads, nachos or in sandwiches. I used it in the best party food, Barbacoa Sliders!
How do you know when the barbacoa beef is done?
It will be fork tender and falling apart. Slow cook 6-8 low on high or 3-4 hours on high.
What if you like it extra spicy?
By all means, add more chipotle peppers if you prefer. Or if you are timid just use one chipotle pepper.
How should you serve the barbacoa beef?
Sandwiches, salads, tacos, burrito bowls, nachos . . . pretty much anything you can think of.
What tools do you need for this recipe?
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- 1/2 Cup Tart Cherry Juice*
- 2.5 Lbs Boneless Beef Chuck Roast
- 5 Garlic Cloves, (finely chopped)
- 1 Sweet Onion, (chopped)
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce from can
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 teaspoons Mexican Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, sear both sides of chuck roast. Transfer roast to large slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker.
- Slow cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once the meat if fork tender and falling apart it is done. If the sauce it still loose, remove slow cooker lid and cook on high for 30 minutes to evaporate liquid.
- (Or, add a slurry to thicken it quickly. Combine 1 tsp cornstarch to 2 tsp water. Stir then add to slow cooker)
- Serve barbacoa beef on sliders, salads, tacos, burrito bowls or nachos.
- Serve with guacamole, limes, cilantro and salsa.
*can use beef broth instead
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 491Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 157mgSodium 537mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 48g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.