Are you crazy excited to start cooking with your air fryer!?!? These Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Chicken Legs are perfect for beginners. All that great Buffalo Chicken Wing taste without the fat from deep frying. Plus, we are using chicken drumsticks for a meatier meal! The perfect low carb – Keto recipe for game day!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Chicken Legs – Whole30, Paleo
I’m obsessed with my air fryer. The thought of deep-fried style foods without all the extra fat obviously appealed to me. But, honestly I was skeptical. I hesitated buying an air fryer because I though Yeah Right! Plus they are more than I like to spend on a kitchen appliance that I’m not sure will deliver. Luckily I got one for Christmas!
And guess what!?!? My Power Air Fryer XL works great! Now, I’m not going to say that the food turns out exactly like deep-fried foods. But it’s pretty darn close!
How Do You Cook Drumsticks In An Air Fryer
It is very easy to cook chicken legs in an air fryer. For standard sized drumsticks it takes 25 minutes at 400ºF. You want to cook the chicken until it reaches 165ºF internal temp. Just toss once during the air frying process. Toss with the sauce towards the end.
These Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Legs have that crispness on the outside that you just can’t get with oven baked chicken legs. And they cook up really quick and juicy!
What sauce should you use:
I use Frank’s RedHot Original Sauce because it is so widely available and easy to find. Tessemae’s Buffalo Sauce is Whole30 approved. Or if you are feeling motivated, you can always make Homemade Whole30 Hot Sauce.
Of course, if you are not following a Whole30, Paleo diet . . . use whatever buffalo wing sauce your heart desires!
What ghee should you use?
I was ordering 4th & Heart Ghee online and I do like their product very much. But, I recently began using ORGANIC VALLEY Ghee because I can find it at Target and other grocery stores. I have found it to be comparable to 4th & Heart. Or again, if you are feeling motivated, you can always make Homemade Ghee ← I’ll be super impressed if you do! ????
Of course, if you are not following a Whole30 or Paleo diet . . . use ghee or butter.
What tools do you need for this recipe?
You will need a Power Air Fryer XL (if you do not own an air fryer, these chicken legs can be cooked in the oven).
Angled Tongs will come in super handy because these chicken legs get HOT in the air fryer!
I highly suggest using a meat thermometer. Then there’s no guessing if the chicken is cooked through.
Tips → Tricks → Suggestions →
- If you do not own an air fryer just cook these up in the oven (they will not have that great crisp coating) Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly oil bottom of a 2qt roasting dish. Generously salt and pepper chicken then transfer to roasting dish. Bake for 25 minutes. (make sauce during this time) After the first 25 minutes, spoon sauce over chicken. Return to oven and bake 10-15 more minutes or until internal temp reaches 165ºF.
- Serve these Buffalo Chicken Legs with carrots, celery and this Whole30 Ranch Dip (make it with less liquid for a thicker dip).
- I use chicken legs instead of the typical chicken wing because I prefer the meatier piece. Chicken legs are also very affordable and easier to eat.
- I prefer to remove the chicken skin. If you’re into the skin, feel free to leave it on.
More air fryer recipes to get you started →
- 2 Lbs Chicken Drumsticks, (skin removed)
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee, (melted)
- 1/4 Cup Frank's RedHot Original Sauce
- Spray air fryer basket with nonstick oil. Preheat air fryer at 400º for 2-3 minutes.
- Place drumsticks in basket, air fry at 400º for 15 minutes.
- Flip drumsticks and air fry at 400º for 5 more minutes.
- Mix melted ghee and hot sauce in large bowl. Transfer drumsticks to bowl and toss in sauce. Return drumsticks to basket and spoon remaining sauce over the top of the drumsticks. Air fry for 5 more minutes or until internal chicken temp reaches 165ºF.
- Serve with Whole30 Ranch Dip, celery and carrots.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 983Total Fat 55gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 29gCholesterol 610mgSodium 1486mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 110g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
This post contains affiliate amazon links. Basically, I get a little kick back for sending you over to amazon . . . at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!66