These Pesto Mozzarella Stuffed Dinner Rolls are not only great for a holiday recipe, they are fantastic year round! You can’t go wrong with fresh mozzarella and flavorful basil pesto tucked inside these super soft yeast rolls!
This tasty recipe is sponsored by Red Star Yeast.
The holidays are literally right around the corner! Where did 2017 go!?!? While I seemed to have somehow lost a year, at least I have the holiday feasts to look forward to. And these Pesto Mozzarella Stuffed Yeast Rolls will most definitely be making an appearance on my holiday menu.
These dinner rolls take some time to prepare. While they require rise time they don’t take a ton of effort. But the time is so worth it! The rolls are super soft, light and almost melt in your mouth. On top of that they are stuffed with fresh mozzarella and flavorful pesto. Heaven!
I use Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast® when I make these (and every other type of bread or roll). The Red Star Platinum Yeast doesn’t require proofing. I do it, just because, well, I always have I suppose. Do you know that I have never had a dud batch?!
I also kind of get a thrill out of proofing. Just look at that glorious foam ????
Check out this video for a step by step visual demo>>
Now we are ready to get started!
And just look at the rise on that soft dough! Beautiful.
These bake up with slightly crisp, salty tops and soft, melty insides. Just right to go with any dinner you happen to be serving.
And if you prefer a less soft, more bread-y roll, just add a little extra flour to the dough.
Here are some more breads for your table:
Here are some items you may need for this recipe: (ad)
- 3/4 Cups Milk
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- Pinch Sugar
- 1/4 ounce Package Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 1 Large Egg, (lightly beaten)
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Olive Oil
- 8 ounces Fresh Mozzarella Pearls - room temp, (can use fresh mozzarella round & cut into chunks)
- 1/4 Cup Pesto - room temp
- Eggwash 1 Large Egg + 1 TB Water, (beaten)
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese, (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- In a microwave safe dish, heat milk for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup butter then let cool.
- Combine warm water, sugar and Red Star Platinum Yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- In large bowl, combine egg, milk mixture, yeast mixture, salt and half of the flour.
- Continue to stir in flour until dough is no longer sticky and comes together in a ball. (add extra flour a Tablespoon at a time if needed)
- Transfer dough to a floured board. Knead 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. Add additional flour if needed. Transfer dough into large oiled bowl. Drizzle oil on top of dough. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place in a warm spot until dough doubles in size. (approximately 90 minutes)
- Transfer dough to flat surface and divide into 12 portions. Dough will be slightly sticky and elastic.
- Flatten each portion and fill with a dollop of pesto and 6-8 mozzarella pearls. Close into a ball shape and pinch to close. (do not let oil from pesto drip onto the outer edges or the dough will not stick together). Transfer to a 9x13 glass baking dish lined with greased parchment paper. Place dish in warm spot and allow rolls to double in size (approximately 60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Brush rolls with egg wash and sprinkle tops with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt. Let rolls rest for 5 minutes before serving.
This post contains affiliate amazon links. Basically, I get a little kick back for sending you over to amazon . . . at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!