Make a unique frozen summer treat for family and friends. This Broiled Grapefruit Gelato Recipe is sure to impress! Tangy citrus flavor and creamy gelato come together in one perfect bite!
Homemade Gelato Recipe
So I’m a little late to the whole Broiled Grapefruit fad. I’m usually about a year behind on trends (fashion and food).
Broiled grapefruit is definitely worth trying. Once cooked, the grapefruit loses some of that sharp acidity. You are left with a mellowed, sweeter grapefruit flavor.
Perfect for ice cream . . . or gelato!
Broiling grapefruit is easy.
Sprinkle, Broil, Eat.
Or in this case . . .
Sprinkle, Broil, Make Gelato, Eat.
I’ll be honest, I’m not really a fan of making gelato. It is more complicated than regular ice cream.
I’m lazy and impatient when it comes to ice cream.
But after a recent visit to Granzella’s I decided I NEEDED to give homemade gelato another try. If you follow me on Instagram you would have seen the Salted Caramel Gelato that I devoured while there. It is ahhhhMazing!
Once I got home I started working on an easy-ish gelato recipe.
This broiled grapefruit gelato recipe creates an ultra creamy, luscious base. One taste of the bright citrus dessert will refresh you on a hot summer day.
- 2 Large Red Grapefruits
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3/4 Cup Ultrafine Sugar
- 1 Cup Strained Grapefruit Juice
- 2 Drops Red Food Color - optional
- Wash grapefruit and cut in half. Transfer grapefruit to baking sheet (cut side up). Sprinkle each grapefruit with 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes or until bronzed on top. Fully cool in refrigerator. (1-1½ grapefruits will produce 1 cup of freshly squeezed juice)
- Combine all gelato ingredients (except food coloring) in blender and pulse for 5-10 seconds.
- Transfer to a 3 quart pot and heat over medium for 10 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir for 2 more minutes. Add food coloring if doing so.
- Transfer to sealed container and refrigerate for 4+ hours or until fully cooled.
- Place your desired ice cream container into the freezer. I use a loaf pan.
- Churn gelato mixture in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the mixture is frozen and creamy, transfer to the cold ice cream container.
- Freeze for at least 4-6 hours.
- Thaw for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Makes 1 Quart
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 287Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 132mgSodium 71mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 1gSugar 30gProtein 5g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Savour the Summertime Treats:4