This Pumpkin Quinoa Bowl is gluten free, vegetarian and full of fall flavor! The quinoa, pumpkin, cranberries, pecans and gorgonzola come together in a perfect blend of textures and flavors. I created this dish for the Very Vegetarian Recipe Challenge hosted by OXO and Plated.
It is down to a chilly 78° here in California, which means time for some fall recipes! Once the temperature drops about five more degrees I can finally get started on my fall baking . . . WooHoo!
I’ve used pumpkin puree in many recipes but I realized that I had never used fresh pumpkin in any of my meals. Probably because I dislike the entire process of cleaning pumpkins. I’m not a big fan of carving pumpkins just for that reason. I hate scooping and scraping out all of the pumpkin seeds and goop!
I decided that the Very Vegetarian Challenge was the perfect opportunity to try my hand at a pumpkin recipe. For participating in this challenge OXO supplied me with a variety of handy kitchen gadgets, including a 2 piece Fruit Scoop Set. All of the gadgets are great, but those Fruit Scoops are Amazing! I cleaned out my pumpkin in less than twenty seconds . . . Crazy! I may even carve a jack-o-lantern this Halloween, using my handy-dandy new fruit scoops.
Learn more about Plated – Gourmet ingredients and recipes delivered to your door!
The Very Vegetarian Challenge has some rules that I had to follow:
Yields 2 servings.
Uses 10-12 ingredients.
Include vegetables, starch/grain and a protein.
Includes seasonal ingredients.
Only require 5-6 easy steps to follow.
No blenders, food processors or dutch ovens allowed.
Recipes are ready within 30 minutes, start to finish (including chopping).
I have to admit, the 30 minute time limit was a hard one for me. I’m more of a leisurely cook. You will never catch me on one of those frantic cooking competition shows, that is for sure!
Use the OXO Handheld Mandoline on setting 1 to slice the celery extra thin.
Clean the pumpkin with the large OXO Fruit Scoop. I suggest using both hands to do this, but I needed my other hand to take the photo.
Sauté the ingredients.
Use the OXO 9″ Whisk to mix the creamy gorgonzola dressing.
- 1/4 Cup Dry Quinoa - 1/2 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Sliced Celery (about 1 stalk)
- 2 Cups Cubed Pumpkin (1/2 small pumpkin)*
- 1 Tb Butter
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tb Chopped Pecans
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1/3 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tb Milk
- 1/4 Cup Gorgonzola Cheese
- 1. Begin cooking quinoa in water according to package directions. Some quinoa requires a rinse before cooking.
- 2. Prep the celery and pumpkin. Thinly slice the celery. Cut pumpkin in half then scoop out the seeds and goop. Carefully remove the pumpkin skin, cutting from the top in a downward motion. Chop pumpkin into one inch pieces.
- 3. Make the dressing by whisking together the Greek yogurt, milk and gorgonzola until fully incorporated. (this can be done while the pumpkin is cooking)
- 4. Melt the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add pumpkin and cook for 10 minutes (until soft and slightly browned), stirring frequently. Add the celery and cranberries, cook for 5 more minutes. Add salt, pepper and pecans 1 minute before removing from heat.
- 5. Mix the sauteed pumpkin mixture with the cooked quinoa. Top with a dollop of gorgonzola dressing. Add some extra chopped pecans and gorgonzola crumbles to finish (optional). Serve immediately.
- *Make sure you buy the cooking/baking pumpkins!
More Quinoa Goodness:
I love a good party! I’ve been known to share my delicious creations at THESE awesome parties!