This Upside Down Apple Cake is the perfect Fall dessert. Moist cake topped with fresh apples and pecans. Finish with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate apple dessert!
While this is technically an Upside Down Apple Cake, my family calls it Apple Pie Cake. It really does have all the flavor of apple pie in the form of a cake.
This moist, flavorful cake is made with Musselman’s Apple Butter and tastes fantastic on it’s own. Add the fresh apples and pecans on top for an insanely delicious dessert!
I sure do love my cakes with mile-high buttercream frosting. But Upside Down Cake comes in at a very close second. Very close!
And this Apple Cake just screams Fall! Enjoy a slice along side a hot cup of coffee or apple cider.
Make sure to add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a slice of apple heaven. Cold vanilla ice cream melting into this fresh out of the oven Upside Down Apple Cake . . . it brings tears to my eyes. Tears! So good it will make you cry.
Even better, this cake comes together in a cinch. It is fairly quick and easy to make.
Find more recipes with that great apple butter flavor on the Musselma’s Website.
Grab a slice and a hot beverage. Then curl up with loved ones on a chilly Fall evening. Doesn’t get much better than that!
Put your spin on classic recipes with Musselman’s Apple Butter. Because meals are #BetterWithAppleButter!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Butter - room temperature
- 3/4 Cup Ultrafine Baker's Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Cup 2% Milk
- 1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Musselman's Apple Butter
- 2 Cups Peeled & Chopped Apples * about 2 medium apples
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray 9 inch spring form pan with non-stick. (Make sure the spring form is sealed tightly) Place spring form on a baking sheet to catch any liquid that may escape while baking.
- Layer apples and pecans evenly in bottom of pan.
- Microwave brown sugar, butter and apple butter for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth then poor over the apples and pecans. Spread and mix in evenly.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add apple butter, egg and milk. Mix.
- Gradually add dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Gently spread batter (evenly and to edges of pan) over apple topping layer.
- Transfer spring form on baking sheet to oven. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed clean.
- Cool 15-20 minutes. Release spring form and invert onto cake platter.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
*Apples can be sliced instead of chopped. I find that the cake looks prettier with sliced apples but is more difficult to eat.
More Apple Butter Flavor . . .