Try this Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Recipe for a twist on the traditional shredded chicken sandwich. With a cheesy sauce, lots of garlic and the addition of artichoke hearts. This simple slow cooker recipe is sure to be a new family favorite dinner!
Pulled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
I love making pulled chicken or pork in my slow cooker. Usually it is swimming in some sort of barbecue sauce.
Now you can have chicken smothered in a creamy, buttery, cheesy sauce. Definitely a nice change from the typical pulled chicken sandwich.
This Crock Pot Chicken Recipe is fairly healthy too!
I added lemon and fresh parsley to brighten the dish.
Of course, no recipe of mine is complete without loads of fresh garlic!
Oh, and did I mention that these sandwiches are served on buns toasted with butter, fresh garlic and parsley!?! That is why it is only somewhat healthy. I ate my Creamy Crock Pot Chicken over quinoa for a healthier meal.
Ready to go!
Get the onion, garlic, chicken, artichokes, chicken broth and Oil started in the slow cooker.
Then just put a lid on it and relax. You have a couple hours before there is anything else to do.
After about two and a half hours, it is time to add the creamy ingredients and get the garlic buns started.
My family loved this meal. And I loved how simple it was to make!
This recipe was enough to feed four adults and three hungry kids . . . Twice!
We had sandwiches one night then used the leftover creamy shredded chicken over noodles the next night.
Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion - sliced
- 10 Cloves of Garlic - chopped
- Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2½ lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 8 oz Frozen Quartered Artichoke Hearts
- 1½ Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 6 Soft Sandwich/Hamburger Buns
- 3 Tb Butter - room temp
- 2 Garlic Cloves - grated
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley - finely chopped
- Small Pinch Salt
Slow Cooker Chicken
- Layer the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and and Olive Oil on the bottom of slow cooker.
- Next, place the chicken breasts and artichoke hearts in an even layer. Pour chicken stock over the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ hours. (add 2-3 hours if cooking on low)
- Shred chicken with forks.
- Add lemon juice, cream cheese, Greek yogurt and mozzarella.
- Remove lid and cook for 30-40 minutes until sauce thickens.
- While the sauce is thickening, prepare the garlic buns or pasta.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix butter, garlic, parsley and salt.
- Spread butter mixture on the inside of each bun.
- Place the buns, butter side up, on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or broil for 1-2 minutes. (until lightly browned)
- Fill garlic buns with creamy shredded chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- Or toss creamy chicken with cooked pasta and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 735Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 206mgSodium 776mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 72g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Enjoy this Crock Pot Chicken Recipe on a garlic bun for an amazing sandwich.
Or serve with noodles for a delicious Creamy Chicken Pasta dinner!