This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Chiquita Bananas. All opinions are 100% mine.
Caramelized Bananas with Homemade Vanilla Pudding Recipe. This unique version of the layered banana pudding and Nilla wafers dessert is sure to be a new family favorite! Comfort food at it’s best.
I have been wanting to do a recipe inspired by the traditional layered banana pudding dessert. This version has Homemade Vanilla Pudding topped with Caramelized Bananas, Vanilla Wafer Pieces and Whipped Cream!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Large Egg Yolks - lightly beaten
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Bananas - sliced 3/4 inch thick
- Small Pinch Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Wafers - broken into pieces
- Whipped Cream or Cool Whip
- (makes a little over 2 cups)
- Combine milk and egg yolks. Heat in 3 quart pot over medium heat for 5 minutes while whisking frequently.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add mixture to warm milk while whisking.
- Heat for 3-5 more minutes while whisking continuously. Once mixture is bubbling and is coats the sides of pan, remove from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. (I refrigerate overnight)
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of pudding to prevent skin from forming.
- Heat butter and brown sugar over medium/low heat in a nonstick pan for 5 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Add heavy cream. Continue to stir and heat for 2 more minutes.
- Add banana slices to pan. Heat for 7-8 minutes while gently flipping bananas.
- Once sauce is lightly bubbling and slightly thickened, remove from heat.
- Add salt and vanilla extract. Stir.
- Allow sauce to cool before serving with pudding.
- Top pudding with caramelized bananas, vanilla wafer pieces and whipped cream.
“I’m Chiquita banana and I’ve come to say – Bananas have to ripen in a certain way – When they are fleck’d with brown and have a golden hue – Bananas taste the best and are best for you – You can put them in a salad – You can put them in a pie-aye – Any way you want to eat them – It’s impossible to beat them – But, bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator – So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator.”
“Chiquita Banana” (words and music by Garth Montgomery, Leonard Mackenzie, William Wirges) under license to Chiquita Brands L.L.C. © 1945 Shawnee Press Inc.