This is a grilled cheese for grownups! Ham and Cheese Panini with a Homemade Spicy Mustard. Making mustard at home is super easy and you get to choose the flavors. I added horseradish for an extra kick!
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich
This classic ham and cheese is grilled until crisp on the outside and ooey-gooey on the inside. The Spicy Mustard brings tons of flavor and clears your sinuses! I’m not gonna lie . . . this will have your ears burning just a little. I like it that way.
If you have timid taste buds, this sandwich can be made with regular mustard. Or honey mustard would be fantastic too!
Check out this recipe for Homemade Honey & Thyme Mustard.
Once you make the Spicy Mustard it is time to get started on the sandwich.
I use my favorite sandwich buns, sliced ham and sliced cheddar cheese. And remember, a little bit of Spicy Mustard goes a long way.
I use a burger press to create a toasted panini style sandwich. If you don’t own a burger press you can place foil on top of the sandwich and a heavy pot on top of the foil. Or go old school and use a brick wrapped with foil.
Cozy up with this Spicy Ham and Cheese Panini and a bowl of hearty soup. This will definitely take the chill off this winter!
- 1/4 Cup Dried Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Filtered Water
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Prepared Horseradish
- 1 Tablespoon White Sugar
Ham & Cheese Panini
- 1 Soft Sandwich Bun
- 2 Thick Slices Ham
- 2 Slices Medium Cheddar Cheese
- Spicy Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- Soak mustard seeds, water and vinegar in a jar overnight (refrigerated). Add the remaining mustard ingredients and puree until smooth. Store in refrigerator in an air tight jar. Use within 2 weeks. This yields approximately 1 cup.
Ham & Cheese Panini
- Spread mustard on inside of sandwich bun. Fill bun with ham and cheese. Heat cast iron skillet and burger press over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Melt butter and place sandwich into skillet. Place burger press on top and apply pressure to flatten into a panini style sandwich. Cook 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip sandwich and repeat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 697Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 152mgSodium 3303mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 5gSugar 15gProtein 50g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.