To celebrate the end of my zombie withdrawals I made these Bloody Zombie Brain Cupcakes. I’m calling them Kill Shot Cupcakes! Perfect for a Halloween treat or a dessert for your Walking Dead viewing party.
Seven Days, People! Seven Days. The best show on television starts again in seven days!
I have a bit of a zombie obsession. Especially when it comes to The Walking Dead! I ♥ The Walking Dead!
Shrinks say that our fascination with zombies is tied to our fear of our own mortality … blah,blah. I think it is because we would all like to believe that we would be one of the surviving Bad Ass Zombie Slayers! What do you think? Would you be a survivor or zombie chow?
I should warn you that there are two things that I will not shut up about: Blogging and the Zombie Apocalypse.
In fact, a little know secret about me is that playing a zombie in a movie is on my bucket list. Of course, this probably will never happen because I’m not an actor nor do I ever plan on becoming one. But you never know. Fate could sit me on a plane next to a producer of a zombie flick. It could happen. What can I say, I dream big! hehe
So I had to make these The Waking Dead inspired cupcakes to celebrate the return of my favorite show.
I made these vanilla cupcakes the color of zombie flesh. Topped with rotting brain buttercream and bloody strawberry jam. Don’t forget the Daryl Dixon crossbow arrow through the zombie brain. Kill Shot!
You can find these amazing zombie face cupcake liners at SweetBootique on Etsy. It is a $4.00 download.
The arrows are easy to make. Just cut feather shapes out of card stock and glue them to a lolipop stick.
So, while I don’t think you’ll be seeing me on the Cupcake Wars any time soon. I think these Halloween Zombie Brain Cupcakes turned out great (for my skills). Especially for a zombie themed party.
The best part is that the cupcakes don’t have to look perfect because they are mangled, disgusting zombies. The grosser they look, the better!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Salted Butter - softened
- 1/2 Cup Ultrafine Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Drops Black Food Coloring
- 3/4 Cups Butter - softened
- 2½-3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 Drops Red Food Color
- 1 Tiny Drop Black Color
- 3-4 Tablespoons Strawberry Jam
- 6 Lolipop Sticks
- 6 Feathers (cut from black card stock)
- 12 Black Cupcake Liners
- 6 Printable Zombie Face Liners
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg, milk, vanilla and black food color. Mix.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients.
- Insert 6 black liners into cupcake pan.
- Fill liners 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake 20-22 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar on high until light and fluffy. (3-5 minutes)
- Add food coloring to desired color. Mix.
- Refrigerate 15-20 minutes before frosting cupcakes.
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled; prepare frosting in a piping bag fitted with small circle tip.
- Pipe frosting in a squiggly pattern. Run a line down the middle using a toothpick. (This does not have to look perfect because it will be covered with jam.)
- Refrigerate frosted cupcakes for another 15-20 minutes.
- Let jam sit at room temperature while frosting is cooling.
- Gently coat frosting with strawberry jam, using small silicone pastry brush.
- Paper feathers should be glued to lolipop sticks.
- Printable zombie liners can be attached to empty black cupcake liners with tape or glue.
- Insert arrows into cupcakes once glue is completely dried.
- Place cupcakes inside the zombie cupcake liners.