With the end of summer comes an abundance of fresh zucchini. Try this Cheesy Zucchini Tater Tots Recipe and that zucchini will be gone in no time! Cheese, zucchini and potatoes fried up into homemade tater tots.
I am proud to be partnering with Thrive® Algae Oil to bring you this tasty recipe! As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
This Cheesy Zucchini Tater Tots Recipe is the ultimate! You get to eat your tater tots but they are mostly zucchini. These tots have enough potato inside to be like our favorite snack but also have that fresh zucchini and shredded cheddar cheese. Zucchini Tater Tots are quite easy to make. Just shred the zucchini and potatoes, mix ingredients, coat with breading and fry until golden.
I use Thrive® Algae Oil to get perfectly golden brown fried tots. Thrive® Algae Oil has a mild, delicate flavor and smell. It is perfect for frying because it has a crazy high smoke point of 485°! And, Thrive® Algae Oil is sustainable. Their mission is to create an oil that is better for people and the planet.
I use a large stand up grater to shred the zucchini and potatoes. Transfer to a cutting board lined with paper towels, place more paper towels on top and press down firmly to absorb any moisture. The dryer you get your shreds, the better.
Once you’ve shredded and dried your zucchini it is smooth sailing. Mix with the other ingredients and form into tater tot shapes.
When I began testing this recipe it was for a fritter patty shape. I played around with several different shapes and decided the tots were much tastier. They have the perfect amount of crisp outer crust with a soft and chewy inside. Plus, tots are so dippable and fun to eat!
Form into tots then roll in breading. I do this before I begin frying so that I am not trying to do too much at once. You don’t want to be distracted and burn your tots.
Once the tots are fried, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon zest. Serve with ketchup, ranch dressing, your favorite dipping sauce or this Creamy Cajun Dip.
Get to dippin’ and dig in!
These tots are the perfect family snack and a great way to use up those extra zucchini!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Cup Peeled, 1-2 potatoes, Shredded White Potato
- 2 Cups Shredded Zucchini, 1-2 zucchini
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Large Eggs - lightly beaten
- Small Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Thrive® Algae Oil for frying
- Use a large stand up grater to shred the zucchini and potatoes. Transfer to a cutting board lined with paper towels, place more paper towels on top and press down firmly to absorb any moisture. Transfer to large bowl then add shredded cheese and eggs. Stir gently until evenly coated with egg.
- Mix salt, pepper, flour, panko and garlic powder. Gradually add dry ingredients to zucchini mixture while stirring.
- Mix breading ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Form zucchini mixture into tater tot shapes. (This recipe will make approximately 20 tots depending on size) Roll each tot in breading mixture until lightly coated. Transfer to cutting board or platter.
- In large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium for 5 minutes. Drop a small piece of zucchini in oil, once it gets a good sizzle the oil is ready.
- Fry tots in two batches so the pan does not get over crowded. Fry and rotate tots in oil until all sides are golden brown. Transfer fried tots to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and lemon zest.
- To make the Cajun Dip; mix sour cream, Cajun spice, lemon zest, hot sauce and worcestershire sauce to desired flavor and consistency.
These tots reheat well. Just wrap in foil and bake at 400°F for about 10 minutes.
If you prefer oven baked tots instead of fried, place prepared tots on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick then bake at 400°F for 25 minutes. Flip half way through.
More Must-Make Recipes. . .5