This Classic Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe is perfect for breakfast and brunch. Light, fluffy homemade pancakes made from scratch are the ultimate way to start your day! Great for feeding a hungry crowd.
Homemade Pancakes From Scratch
It doesn’t get much better than a lazy weekend morning with a stack of syrupy pancakes. That much I know.
Pancakes and waffles are one of my daughter’s favorite comfort foods. So they are a regular on our meal rotation. Thankfully pancakes are really simple to make from scratch. If you are craving a morning treat, go make yourself a stack of golden buttery buttermilk pancakes dripping with syrup. Or . . . breakfast for dinner!
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Pancakes (screenshot for grocery list)
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
What Does Buttermilk Do In Pancakes?
Buttermilk adds a very slight tang. But most importantly it causes a reaction with the baking soda making the pancakes fluff up more than traditional pancakes.
Should You Leave Pancake Batter To Rest?
Is it necessary? No.
But, I allow my pancake batter to rest for 5 minutes before I begin cooking. This allows the ingredients to get acquainted and do their magic. I’m sure there is a more scientific explanation, but I’m no scientist. I just know that resting the batter makes for better pancakes.
More Homemade Breakfast Recipes:
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (for greasing)
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk and milk until fully combined.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients whisking as you go. Continue to gently whisk the ingredients together, scraping the bottom and sides of bowl until the batter does not have large lumps. Do not over mix. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan or griddle over a medium heat. Melt small amount of butter in pan.
- Add 3 tablespoons of pancake batter to the pan.
- Cook for about two minutes. When you see bubbles appearing on the top of the batter, flip the pancake over and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate or rack and repeat with the remaining batter.
Adjust the heat as the pan gets hotter during cooking to prevent burnt pancakes.
For buttermilk substitute: add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk. Leave for 5 minutes at room temperature then continue with the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 349Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 112mgSodium 957mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 11g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.