A comforting bowl of homemade soup made in 30 minutes. It is possible! This Broccoli Cheese Soup is an easy, one-pot vegetarian meal that is gluten free too!
Easy Soup Recipe
Homemade doesn’t have to mean complicated or time consuming. Some of my favorite recipes are one-pot 30 minute meals.
I am especially a fan of recipes that require very little prep. Come on, chopping veggies is tedious!
That is why I have a freezer full of vegetables. Frozen fruits and veggies are convenient, affordable and nutritious. Oh and, they come pre-chopped . . . Bonus!
Frozen produce is such a time saver. I also don’t have to feel bad about throwing away fresh fruits and vegetables that go bad before I have a chance to use them. I hate wasting food.
My freezer is always stocked with frozen broccoli, carrots, corn and (my personal favorite) chopped onions.
You know how everyone has a trick to keep from crying while chopping onions. Well, my trick is to buy frozen chopped onions! Not only do I not cry . . . I don’t even have to chop them!
Corn and broccoli are my daughter’s favorite. So I always make sure that I have those on hand. With nearly 90 percent of Americans failing to meet their dietary recommendations for vegetables, I want to teach my daughter good eating habits early on.
This Broccoli Cheese Soup couldn’t be much easier. If you can toss ingredients in a pot and stir . . . you can make this soup!
- 1 Cup Frozen Chopped Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Package Frozen Broccoli Florets, 12-14oz
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Corn Starch
- Heat oil in a 3.5 quart pot over medium/high heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in thyme, garlic powder and pepper. Add broccoli and vegetable stock. Boil for 15 minutes (stir occasionally).
- In a large bowl, toss shredded cheese with corn starch until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium/low. Mash, puree or leave broccoli chunky. (I use a potato masher for a soup with some texture) Stir in milk and cheese. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring frequently. (cook an extra 2-3 minutes for a thick soup) Salt and sepper to taste. *salt levels depend on the brand of vegetable stock and cheese that is used*
- Serve in a regular bowl, mug or bread bowl. Top with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 55mgSodium 441mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 16g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Mmmmm, homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup in a bread bowl. The perfect Fall meal!8