This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Frozen Food Foundation. All opinions are 100% mine.
A comforting bowl of homemade soup made in 30 minutes. It is possible! This Broccoli Cheese Soup is an easy, one-pot vegetarian meal that is gluten free too!
Homemade doesn’t have to mean complicated or time consuming. Some of my favorite recipes are one-pot 30 minute meals.
I am especially a fan of recipes that require very little prep. Come on, chopping veggies is tedious!
That is why I have a freezer full of vegetables. Frozen fruits and veggies are convenient, affordable and nutritious. Oh and, they come pre-chopped . . . Bonus!
Frozen produce is such a time saver. I also don’t have to feel bad about throwing away fresh fruits and vegetables that go bad before I have a chance to use them. I hate wasting food.
My freezer is always stocked with frozen broccoli, carrots, corn and (my personal favorite) chopped onions.
You know how everyone has a trick to keep from crying while chopping onions. Well, my trick is to buy frozen chopped onions! Not only do I not cry . . . I don’t even have to chop them!
Corn and broccoli are my daughter’s favorite. So I always make sure that I have those on hand. With nearly 90 percent of Americans failing to meet their dietary recommendations for vegetables, I want to teach my daughter good eating habits early on.
A few examples of quality frozen produce brands are: Bird’s Eye, Green Giant and Wyman’s.
UC Davis, in partnership with the Frozen Food Foundation, conducted a study on frozen fruits and vegetables. The study revealed that frozen fruits and vegetables are most often nutritionally equal to (and in some cases better than) their fresh counterparts.
Freezing fruits and vegetables is nature’s pause button!
This Broccoli Cheese Soup couldn’t be much easier. If you can toss ingredients in a pot and stir . . . you can make this soup!
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Cup Frozen Chopped Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Package Frozen Broccoli Florets 12-14oz
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Corn Starch
- Heat oil in a 3.5 quart pot over medium/high heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in thyme, garlic powder and pepper. Add broccoli and vegetable stock. Boil for 15 minutes (stir occasionally).
- In a large bowl, toss shredded cheese with corn starch until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium/low. Mash, puree or leave broccoli chunky. (I use a potato masher for a soup with some texture) Stir in milk and cheese. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring frequently. (cook an extra 2-3 minutes for a thick soup) Salt and sepper to taste. *salt levels depend on the brand of vegetable stock and cheese that is used*
- Serve in a regular bowl, mug or bread bowl. Top with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
Mmmmm, homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup in a bread bowl. The perfect Fall meal!1