Sweet Popovers Recipe
Popovers are a favorite recipe in my home. I can’t believe this is the first popover recipe that I have ever posted on WonkyWonderful! My daughter loves to help me make them because it is an easy one bowl recipe and she gets to be in charge of the whisk.
Plain popovers are a light and hollow roll that are a great addition to any meal. These Spiced Apple Popovers have the roll texture on the outside, but the inside reminds me of a warm soufflé that can be scooped out with a spoon.
Musselman’s Apple Butter contacted me and offered to send their product so I could create a recipe and host a giveaway. I was super excited because I love to take ingredients/products and figure out a way to use them in a new and unexpected way. Musselman’s is encouraging folks to put a new Spin on classic recipes by using their apple butter. They have also released a New Apple Butter E-Recipe Book that you can download for more tasty recipe ideas.
Another reason that I was excited is because I have never really tried apple butter. I know, crazy … Right!?!
According to my Mom I did try apple butter as a kid and was unimpressed. My tastes have changed . . . I love this stuff! I’ve been using it in all sorts of recipes and I have also been eating it by the spoonful!
The Maple Cinnamon Butter Spread makes this already luxurious dessert even richer. The butter is loaded with flavor and spreadable while cold.
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tb Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 Cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 1 Tb Melted Butter, cooled 2-3 minutes
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 2 Tb Butter, for ramekins
- 1/2 Stick Butter, room temperature
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tb Maple Syrup, or honey
- 3 Tb Mild Flavored Oil, I use grapeseed or sunflower oil
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Place 5 small (4 oz) ramekins on a cookie sheet and place in the oven to get HOT.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, milk, apple butter, melted butter, salt and flour until just smooth.
- Do not over mix.
- Remove ramekins from oven and distribute the 2 Tb of butter between the ramekins.
- Then spray each ramekin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each ramekin with batter until about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with Maple Cinnamon Butter Spread.
Maple Cinnamon Butter
- Combine all ingredients with a hand mixer.
- Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 448Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 82mgSodium 185mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 4g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.