I have some Crazy-Exciting news! A Cookbook, Recipe AND Giveaway!!! sponsored post:
This Slow Cooker Island Pulled Pork Recipe is just a sample from the collaborative cookbook that I am a part of. My original recipe for Slow Cooker Harvest Chili is in the book.
You can enter the Giveaway below for your chance to win a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker and a copy of the cookbook, Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
September is Hunger Action Month. I am honored to join over 30 other bloggers to create this cookbook full of healthy and affordable slow cooker dinner recipes.
46 million people in the United States deal with hunger issues. Of those people, 12 million are children and 7 million are seniors.
All of the proceeds from the print copy of this cookbook is going to support the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida!
Feeding America food banks from across the country are giving the ebook version as a free gift to their donors. If you make a donation you will be given the ebook as a free gift.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3 lb . boneless pork butt
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 hamburger buns, sliced open
- BBQ sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, cloves, ginger, allspice, thyme, dry mustard, salt, paprika, cumin, sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Use fingers to rub spices together to ensure that ginger is dispersed throughout. Rub spice mixture all over pork.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker fat side up. Pour apple cider over pork and add bay leaf.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker. Use two forks to shred meat. Skim fat off liquid in slow cooker. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining liquid over the meat and mix to combine.
- Serve on a bun as-is or slathered with your favorite BBQ sauce and sprinkled with fresh cilantro.
**Changes Made To Recipe ** I used a 4lb bone-in pork roast. I omitted the bay leaf and cilantro. I added a grilled pineapple ring to the sandwiches.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 665Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 146mgSodium 579mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 45g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.