For a stunning side dish or tasty sauce, try these Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Thyme!
While flipping through my Bon Appétit Magazine, I came upon a gorgeous photo of Oil and Thyme Roasted Plum Tomatoes. I knew that I had to attempt to recreate the beauty of those glistening tomatoes. I swoon whenever I see Tomatoes, Garlic and Thyme! And let me tell you, the aroma is absolutely divine.
Instead of plum tomatoes, I used some baby heirlooms and sun gold cherry tomatoes. After the tomatoes are roasted the skins can be a little tough. So if you plan on peeling the skins off, I would recommend using larger sized tomatoes. I don’t mind the tomato skins, especially since I pureed the roasted tomatoes into a sauce.
Serve these beautifully roasted tomatoes as a side dish, puree them into a sauce or use as a condiment. It makes for a great alternative to ketchup.
This recipe is part of my health series, Healthy Happy Wednesdays. I am participating in this series with several other bloggers that are making healthy lifestyle changes. This week’s theme is Healthy Substitutions. My focus is less on “diet” food and more on “real” food.
- 1½ lbs Tomatoes, plum, heirloom, etc
- 5-6 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 10-11 Garlic Cloves, 1 head of garlic
- 1/2 Cup Good Quality Olive Oil
- Fresh Cracked Salt/Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Arrange the tomatoes, thyme, garlic and olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast at 300° for 35 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bursting and the skins are shriveling.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes.
- Peeling the tomatoes is optional (and tedious).
- Serve as a side dish.
- Or for sauce, remove the thyme leaves and discard the woody stems. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (makes approximately 2 cups of sauce)
Make sure you visit the other bloggers participating in this healthy series:
More Tomatoes For Your Tummy:
I love a good party! I’ve been known to share my delicious creations at THESE awesome parties!0