Mexican Shrimp Cocktail is more than just an appetizer. With meaty shrimp, creamy avocado, vegetables and a flavorful tomato sauce, this could be enjoyed as lunch or dinner. This recipe takes less that 20 minutes to prepare and is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Keto, Low Carb, Paleo, Whole 30 friendly.
How To Make Easy Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Shrimp cocktail is one of those foods that are just fun, flavorful and super simple to make. This Mexican version adds even more flavors and always reminds me of vacationing in Mexico. A sandy beach, cold margarita and we are transported to an imaginary beach vacation in the middle of winter!
Like I said, this is so easy to make. Just boil the shrimp, prep the ingredients, mix together and enjoy. Mexican Shrimp Cocktail is great for lunch, dinner or as a party food. It can easily be portioned out for meal prep or for feeding a crowd.
What goes in Mexican Shrimp Cocktail?
- Tomato Juice
- Tomato Sauce
- Hot Sauce
How do you cook raw shrimp for shrimp cocktail?
Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Drop shrimp in boiling water and boil until shrimp curl into a loose ‘C’ shape. Cooking time depends on size of shrimp.
Drain and transfer shrimp into bowl with ice or run under cold water.
How To Eat Mexican Shrimp Cocktail:
I like to eat it as is. It is also fantastic over rice, with warm tortillas, tortilla chips or on any preferred grains.
More for your Mexican Food cravings:
- 2 Lbs Jumbo Shrimp
- 2 Celery Stalks, (sliced thin)
- 1 Jalapeno, (seeded, finely chopped)
- 1 Cucumber, (chopped)
- 2 Avocados, (peeled, pitted, chopped)
- 2 Handfuls Fresh Cilantro, (chopped)
- 1/2 Small White or Yellow Onion, (finely chopped)
- 2 Limes, (juice & zest)
- 1 Orange, (juice & zest)
- 11.5 ounce Can Tomato Juice
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, (grated)
- Favorite Hot Sauce, (to taste)
- Salt/Pepper, (to taste)
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and boil until shrimp curl into a loose 'C' shape and are cooked through. Time will vary depending on size of shrimp. Drain and transfer to ice or run under cool water. Cut shrimp into bite sized chunks.
- In large bowl combine shrimp, celery, jalapeño, cucumber, avocado, cilantro and onion.
- In separate bowl combine lime juice, orange juice, tomato juice, tomato sauce, garlic, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour into shrimp mixture and stir.
- Chill for 1+ hour then serve.
For strict Keto: swap the orange juice for extra lime juice
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 293Sodium 1357mgCarbohydrates 13gSugar 7gProtein 28g
This post contains affiliate links. Basically, I get a little kick back for sending you over to purchase. . . at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support! Nutrition information on this recipe is approximate.