Trick Or Treat Bag (free crochet pattern)

I have been a bit unsure whether I would complete this trick or treat bag in time to post the project and pattern.  I finally made myself sit down and finish.  It’s not that it was difficult to make, I’m just not good with deadlines.  A true Procrastinator.This is the first bag that I have made in the pouch style.  All in all I am satisfied with the end result.  It is not perfectly round, but real pumpkins aren’t either.  So, here it is in all of it’s Pumpkin glory . . .Wonky and Wonderful Pumpkin Trick Or Treat Bag!
halloween bag free crochet pattern

I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in the color ‘Pumpkin’ for the pouch.
For the border and handles I used Bernat Satin Yarn in the color ‘Foliage’ (this was left over from my Watermelon Drink Carrier Pattern).I worked double crochet (dc) using a 5.5 (I) Hook.  I worked in spirals (no joining or chaining at the end of the rounds).This pattern also involves decreases.  If you are unfamiliar with an invisible decrease, I learned from the Planet June video Here.  Or for a double crochet invisible decrease photo tutorial: click here.
#FreePattern #Crochet Trick Or Treat Bag - wonkywonderful.com

This pattern has been removed.  Sorry for the inconvenience folks!

I had mixed feedback on this pattern.  Some people ended up with a pumpkin while others found themselves with a carrot.

While I still do enjoy crocheting for fun, WonkyWonderful is focused on food and recipes.

Feel free to poke around the site for tasty snacks, dinners, desserts and appetizers!  Or look below for some fall themed recipes.

Thanks and Happy Halloween!
#FreePattern #Crochet Trick Or Treat Bag - wonkywonderful.com

Last Step:  Fill Bag With Candy!I hope you decide to make a Pumpkin Bag for your little Trick Or Treater.This is one Halloween project I can check off my list . . .
Now I had better start on the kiddos costume.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie and Milkshake Recipe - quick and easy Thanksgiving dessert - wonkywonderful.com

Witches' Brew Fun Halloween Drink for Kids - Kiwi Spritzer

Comments

1. Morgana says:

I try working the pattern but the bottom ends up in a cone. Any advice?

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Morgana! I’m sorry that the bag is turning into more of a carrot than a pumpkin. I have had one other person tell me that they were having the same issue. I’m thinking that the the looser the stitches the rounder the bag turns out. So, maybe try loosening up on the stitches or repeating round 2 a couple more times to start with a wider base. I hope this helps. Have a lovely week!

2. I’m having the same problem its pointing at the end I’m thinking I may add some yellow and white and make it candy corn instead!

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Rhonda, I have had some mixed feedback on this project. Some folks make it and it turns out perfectly pumpkin round and some folks have a bit of a point on the end. I absolutely love your candy corn idea! Have a fabulous weekend!

3. Linda says:

Just want to let you know that every time I tried to crochet this pattern I would get a carrot looking bag too!! But after the third try I finally got it. I did 8 dc in the 2nd chain from hook on round 1 and it turned out perfect. When I added a few more rounds on row 2 (as you suggested to another viewer) my started looking like a big flat circle. How this helps any one having the same problem

• Nicole Harris says:

Thanks for the feedback Linda! I’m sorry you had to fuss with this pattern so much to get it to look like a pumpkin. I have had similar responses about a carrot shape and I have had folks say that it turned out like a pumpkin. So, I think after this Halloween season I will be removing this pattern from the post. But, until then I may add a note that references your tip. Thanks again and Happy Halloween!

4. charlotte ackerman says:

can i ch 2 work 6 sc’s in ring then join?then work in rnds?i crochet that way and join my rnds so i dont get confuesd,will it still turn out by joing ur rnds/

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Charlotte! That is actually what most consider the proper way to do it. I kind of march to the beat of my own drum when crocheting. I think that it should be fine if you join the rounds. I do want to advise you that I have received mixed feedback on this pattern. Some folks (and me) have had no issue with this pattern and it turns out looking like a round pumpkin. Others have stated that the bag turns out looking more like a carrot. So you may want to read over some of the comments on this post before you start to see some of the alterations people have made. Thanks!

5. I am on my second attempt at this too. My first one failed because I tried to add the extra rows to avoid the point and it did not work. This time I am sticking to the instructions and I have a flat circle. When does it start curling up to look like a bag? Does that not happen until you start the decreases? I have completed through round 7.

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Mary! I’m sorry you are having troubles with this. The sides begin to form after the increases in the even rounds (11-16). Then the decreases form the top of the bag. I have had mixed feedback on this pattern. Some make it and it is a pumpkin others get a carrot. I’m at a loss. I hope it works out this time around!

6. Elizabeth Rossi. says:

Olá Nicole Harris! Linda a abóbora.Parabéns querida.
    Será que existe a possibilidade de enviar-me o gráfico?
    Ajudaria bastante o entendimento ok?
    Muito obrigada,]bjsb
    Elizabeth Rossi.

• Nicole Harris says:

Olá Elizabeth! Lamento, mas eu não tenho um gráfico para este padrão. Desculpas.

7. Chelsi says:

I made this for my daughter and it turned out perfect!! I absolutely love it. I too did 8 DC in second chain from hook.

• Nicole Harris says:

Oh good! I’m so happy to hear that the bag turned out perfect and that you love it! Thanks for the kind words :)

8. Melissa says:

Hi Nicole-

I am an experienced crocheter and I would love to have this pattern! I understand some folks have had it turn out a little more like a carrot but, I’m sure that I can work through it (if I have an issue). Please let me know if you would be willing to share it as I have a 2 year old grandson that I am dying to make this for. No strings attached. :)

Thank you!

9. Alysia says:

I am so sad to see you have taken your pattern down. :( I was really looking forward to making this for my little girl this year! Is there a way I can request the pattern? And like Melissa above, I am experienced enough that should I run into any problems, I can work through them. Please let me know! Thank you. : )