Homemade Coconut Salt Scrub

My Dirty Little Secret . . . I Have Dry, Cracked, Nasty Old Hag Feet!
In my defense, I live in flip-flops 8 months out of the year and having sexy feet is not high on my priority list.I attempted to get a picture of my cracked heels to prove just how neglected my feet truly are.  But, do you know how impossible it is to take a picture of your own feet without looking like a hobbit?  It is probably just as well that I could not get a decent picture.  That is an image you do not want to see.
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

Well, it is time to take care of my little problem.  I have noticed DIY Scrubs on Pinterest and just how simple they are to make.  It’s just a matter of deciding if you want a salt or sugar scrub and what type of oil and essential oil scent you prefer.
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

I chose to make a Salt Scrub with Coconut Oil and Coconut Scent.  I also used Vitamin E Oil because I have a ton of it stockpiled from my pregnancy.  Apparently I thought that I would need to bathe in Vitamin E to prevent stretchmarks.
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

Just mix your Course Sea Salt or Sugar with your Oils at a 2:1 ratio.  For example I mixed 1 cup Salt with 1/4 cup Coconut Oil and 1/4 cup Vitamin E Oil.  If you are only using one oil mix 1/2 cup Oil with 1 cup Salt.  Then add 3-4 drops of Essential Oil for fragrance and stir it up.
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

Put your scrub into a container and you’re done.  I Know, Right? … Easy Peasy!
And it is perfect for a quick and cheap last minute gift.  Put it in a jar, tie a ribbon around it, attach a label and you have a fancy and luxurious gift.
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

Store bought scrubs can cost ten to twenty dollars or more.  This comes out to about two or three bucks depending on the ingredients and that is including the cost of the jar.  Luckily none of my family and friends read my blog … because guess what they are getting for Christmas and Birthday presents this year!
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

This also works great as a Shower Body Scrub too.  Just be sure to scrub the heck out of your bathtub afterwards so nobody slips and breaks a hip.
Homemade Coconut #SaltScrub - wonkywonderful.com

So there you have it.
My once Hideous Hobbit Feet are now Sexy and Silky Smooth. OhLaLa.

Hey! Check out this Homemade Lavender Sugar Scrub . . .

How To Make Lavender Sugar Homemade Body Scrub Recipe wonkywonderful.com

Easy Homemade Body Scrub: Vanilla Coconut - Body Scrub is the perfect last minute homemade gift idea! wonkywonderful.com

Feel free to leave a comment or if you have any questions you can email me directly at wonkywonderful@gmail.com

Comments

1. Marcia says:

Your “OhLaLa” convinced me to try this! Thanks for sharing.

2. Sheila says:

Thanks for sharing. I buy coconut oil by the vat. I use in place of butter in everything, even the dog gets a daily dose. Going to use Rosemary oil for the scent to promote focus and clear thinking.

• Nicole says:

I have been making the switch to coconut oil too. I Love It! I’ll have to give some to my dog … maybe it will help his stinky breath. Thanks for the tip!

3. bonnie happell says:

Hello..just discovered your website and its is so wonderful. I was wondering if you could tell me how to print out your recipes? There isn’t a print button. You have quite a comical attitude. Thanks for helping.

• Nicole says:

Hi Bonnie, thanks so much for the compliment. I am in the process of converting my recipes so that there is a printable option. Let me know which recipes you would like to print and I will bump those up to the top of my To Do List and have them converted for you within the next day or so. Thanks!

• Bonnie Happell, you can always hit Ctrl P (control P) and that will print what ever page you are looking at. It helps to have a hubby that is a computer geek… lol

4. Kayla K says:

Hi I just thought this DIY Scrub was adorable, but I also wanted to know where you got the wooden spoon? Thanks

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Kayla, Thanks I’m glad you like the scrub. I bought those cute mini wooden spoons at World Market. It was over six months ago so I’m not sure if they still sell them. Have a great weekend!

5. Jane says:

Hi I also make my own and have made a gat coffee one! Just add oil of your choice and used coffee grinder beans , great for your morning shower!

6. Oh, I love it! I add 1 tablespoon of body wash to mine to scent it though. So you can stretch a little bottle of body wash a looooong way! =)

7. donna says:

wonderful stuff! I whipped up a batch and now will never be without it for my psoriasis!

8. AmyLee Brooks says:

Hi Nicole! Thank you for sharing this Wonderful “Scrub” recipe & gift idea with us! However, I am not sure if you & others are aware that TOO MUCH vitamin E can actually contribute to the development of cancer. Therefore I recommend that if you are using 100% pure vitamin E oil, you do NOT use 1/4 cup of vitamin E! Use only 1 Tbs. & then use another oil such as olive oil or jojoba oil. Both are wonderful for the skin, as is the coconut oil you suggested

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi AmyLee! Thanks so much for your comment. I would definitely want to revise a post if it is incorrect or harmful. I have been researching ‘vitamin e contributing to cancer’ and have been unable to find any articles about negative side effects. I have even searched through the American Cancer Society website for info. Do you happen to know of an article that states the cautionary information? I would appreciate the link if you do, that way I can revise the post and have a link to an informative article about the possible side effects of too much vitamin e oil. Thanks!

9. Terri Cane says:

Thanks for recipe. I used a coconut oil sea salt body polish that my sister had set out by the sink in her guest bathroom. I fell in love with it, but not the price, so I was looking to make my own. Do you know what could be added to this to make it anti bacterial?

10. Travis Lewis says:

Hey I was wondering if I am suppose to use unrefined coconut oil or refined coconut oil! I am not sure of the differance

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Travis! You can use refined or unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined is less processed and has a great natural coconut aroma. Refined oil will work just fine but will not add the coconut scent. I hope you enjoy!

11. Alexis says:

Hi Nicole! I am so excited to make this scrub! My coconut oil turns to a sold in the cabinet. Do I need to melt it before mixing the scrub? And will it stay a liquid once it’s mixed? Thanks!!

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Alexis! I would recommend melting the coconut oil just enough to make it liquid. That way it is easier to mix with the salt. It will become solid again and the scrub will become like a paste. You can either use it that way, place your jar into a bowl of warm water before use or substitute some of the coconut oil for a liquid oil such as olive or grapeseed. I hope you enjoy!

12. Isn’t this recipe from pvsoap.com? I made it years ago and it’s great, very tropical.

• Nicole Harris says:

I don’t know, I’ve never visited the pvsoap site. I’m sure there are similar recipes out there. I love the tropical smell too!

13. hi,
    can you please tell me that i can use normal salt or not….which i usually use for making food..do tell me so that i can make salt scrub for me..And i can use olive oil or not..

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Megha! The great thing about homemade scrubs is that you can pretty much use what you have on hand. You can definitely use regular salt or even sugar. And olive oil works well too. Good Luck!

• Can you use rock salt in the scrub?

• Nicole Harris says:

I’m sure rock salt would work too. The scrub will be much more coarse. Have a great weekend :)

• Can you use vegetable oil and olive oil?

• Can you replace essential oils to drops of perfume instead?

• Nicole Harris says:

Hmmm, I’ve never done it that way. But, since perfume is safe to spray on your skin I imagine it would be okay. I would start out with a very small amount to try it out.

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Kyrah! Yeah, the great thing about homemade scrubs is that you can pretty much use whatever oil you like. Enjoy!

14. should i use olive and coconut oil

15. thanks for your reply

16. I sell flip flops and interchangeable clips for them so I LIVE in my flips pretty much year round! I get a pedicure every 3 weeks but it just doesn’t make it the full 3 weeks. Since my feet are ALWAYS on display, I am CONSTANTLY looking for something to keep them in viewable condition. I love a good salt scrub and THIS IS IT!!! I made this about 2 weeks ago and my heels are more moisturized than ever before. I use it daily on my feet, legs and arms. No need for a slathering of lotion either!! Sooooo happy I found your blog!!!!
    Saying goodbye to snake skin legs was the BEST goodbye I ever said!!

• Nicole Harris says:

Thanks Dawn! I’m so happy that you like it! Gotta get rid of those snake skin legs :P

17. Hello. I love scrubs. This scrub sounds wonderful. I am looking forward to making it but I was wondering if there is something other then oil thag I could use.

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Amber! You can use whichever oil that you prefer. Olive oil, sunflower oil or grapeseed oil will work great too. I like to choose oils with a mild scent for scrubs so that I don’t end up smelling like a salad :D

18. christy says:

I am making the salt scrub. I plan on using the coconut oil and the corse salt. what essential oil should I use. and where do I buy these things in bulk?

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Christy! You can really use any essential oil scent that you prefer. I used coconut essential oil that I purchased at a natural/health store in my area. You can search Amazon for essential oils. Just make sure thay are labeled as safe for use on skin. I use the coconut oil that has a coconut scent, so now I don’t even bother with the essential oils. Enjoy :D

19. Jessica says:

I am so excited to make this for my children’s teacher as a Christmas gift. Would this be ok to use on your hands?

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Jessica. Yes, this absolutely can be used on hands. I have used it as a full body scrub. Enjoy :D

20. Becky L says:

Love it! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m planning a spa party for my daughter’s birthday and I think this will make a perfect addition to the “menu”.

21. sherry butcher says:

Glad to find this the Homemade Coconut SALT scrub I can use this too. do you have any Bath Salts?

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Sherry! I don’t have any bath salt recipes. Unfortunately I don’t have a large bath at my house {I Wish}. So, I’ve never had a reason to make any. But I know that you can find tons of tutorial/recipes if you search for bath salts on Pinterest!

22. Chanay Huff says:

I was wondering if you could use other course salts, like canning/pickling salt or ice cream salt

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Chanay! I have not used canning or ice cream salt in my scrubs. I imagine they would work. The canning salt is super fine and would gently exfoliate. While ice cream salt is huge and may be a little clunky when trying to use as a scrub.

23. This looks/sounds wonderful. How long does a batch last on the shelf? Thank you for your help

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Val! I have been using the same batch for about 6 months now. It is still as good as the first day :)

24. Cindy Smith says:

Hi Nicole, Thank you so much for sharing…this sounds wonderful and your presentation is just too cute. I have found these little mini spoons at estate sales and now know just what to do with them. Where did you find the little jar with the salt scrub, its just the perfect size.

• Nicole Harris says:

Hi Cindy! I found my jars at my local Walmart in the canning section. Enjoy!