This Healthy Chicken and Salsa Verde Quinoa Bowl is gluten free and so unbelievably delicious that you will forget how nutritious it is! The poached chicken, tangy green tomato salsa verde and quinoa will leave you feeling satisfied.
Healthy Lunch with Chicken and Quinoa
I’ve been on a health kick lately . . . Trying to ditch some of my bad eating habits and prepare more nutritious foods. So when I made some amazingly flavorful Green Tomato Salsa Verde I needed to find a way to enjoy it without tortilla chips.
It was difficult, who wants to eat salsa without chips!?!
Luckily I happened to have some cooked quinoa and poached chicken in my refrigerator. Light Bulb Moment! I thought a healthy chicken and salsa verde quinoa bowl actually sounded better than plain ol’ chips and salsa.
I was not disappointed. Not only did it taste great but I felt fantastic after eating it!
The healthy chicken and salsa verde quinoa bowl tastes fresh and vibrant. You are getting lean protein with the poached chicken breast and veggies from the green tomato salsa verde. Quinoa is a gluten free Super-Food that is high in protein but low in fat and calories. It also contains calcium, iron and potassium.
I topped my quinoa bowl with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and a spritz of fresh lime. The only thing missing was some avocado. Unfortunately I didn’t have any avocados hanging out in my refrigerator that day.
- *Roasted Chicken can be used instead of poached chicken*
- About 1 Lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tb Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt/Pepper
- Pinch of Cumin
- Pinch of Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Chili Powder
- Green Tomato Salsa Verde
- 2-3 Cups Cooked Quinoa
- Lime Wedges
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Place chicken, water, oil and spices into small pot or sauté pan.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to medium/low.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and opaque through the middle.
- Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the breasts.
- Prepare the Green Tomato Salsa Verde
- Cook quinoa in water according to the directions on the package. Some quinoa is pre-rinsed and some requires a rinse before cooking. Check package for rinsing instructions. (Bob's Red Mill quinoa is pre-rinsed)
- Assemble your quinoa bowl however you like and Dig In!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 796Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 135mgSodium 240mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 12gSugar 6gProtein 64g
Nutritional information on WonkyWonderful is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.