Welcome to Day #1 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25. Lots of great prizes will be up for grabs so you do not want to miss one single day. Follow #AppetizerWeek on Twitter to keep up to date with all our amazing recipes and giveaways!
A simple game day appetizer that is sure to be a hit! This Homemade Bean Dip Recipe is a flavorful blend of pinto beans, green chilies, spices and lots of cheese!
I make this tasty homemade bean dip recipe several times a month. It tastes great with chips or rolled up in a tortilla for an amazing bean burrito!
While this bean dip does take a bit of time to make. Most of that time is inactive.
Easy: Soak. Cook. Mash. Eat.
I prefer to eat this bean dip burrito style.
But man oh man, it is so dipp-able!
First and most importantly, it IS worth the extra effort to make bean dip starting with dried pinto beans. There is a time and place for canned beans . . . this is not that time or that place.
I prefer a chunky bean dip. So instead of an immersion blender, I use a simple hand held masher like this OXO Potato Masher.
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss A Recipe! Subscribe:
- 16 oz Dried Pinto Beans
- 6 Cups Water or Chicken Stock
- 1 Tb Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 4 oz Can of Green Chilies
- 14.5 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or more to taste)
- 2 Cups Shredded Colby/Jack Cheese
- Soak the dried pinto beans in cold water overnight. (check for rocks and funky beans)
- After beans have soaked, drain and rinse the beans.
- Transfer to a large pot and add the 6 cups of water or chicken stock.
- Bring the beans to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper.
- Decrease heat to medium/low, partially cover pot with lid. (leave the lid cracked)
- Continue to lightly boil. Check beans after an hour of cooking. Beans should be cooked within an hour and a half or so.
- The beans will be soft and there will be some liquid still remaining. (if the liquid has boiled off, add a bit more)
- Add the green chilies and diced tomatoes.
- Continue cooking with the lid off for 15-20 minutes while stirring frequently. (watch it very closely because it will burn)
- Once most of the liquid has cooked off, decrease heat to low.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and mash with potato masher for a chunky dip. Or use an immersion blender for a smooth bean dip.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve hot, room temperature or cold.
- This recipe yields approximately 7 cups of bean dip.
Our sponsor for Day 1 of Appetizer Week is OXO. We are so happy they joined us today. OXO is dedicated to providing innovative consumer products that make everyday living easier. Their tools are designed with everyone in mind, they are not only efficient but they are also comfortable to use. As food bloggers we spend a ton of the kitchen and we need our tools to not only stand the test of time, but to be as user-friendly as possible. OXO tools meet all those requirements. You can follow OXO on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Today’s OXO Prize Pack valued at over $256 includes:
- 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer
- 4 Piece Mini Measuring Beaker Set
- Citrus Juicer
- Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer
- 2 Cup Angled Measuring Cup
- 6 Piece Measuring Cup Set in Black
- 6 Piece Measuring Spoon Set in Black
- 3 Piece Large Bowl and Colander Set in Red
- Garlic Press
- Silicone Pastry Brush
- Utility Cutting Board in Red
- Pop Container Big Square in 4.0 Quart Size
- Pop Scoop
- Oil Stopper/Pourer
- Pastry Scraper/Chopper
- Coarse Hand-Held Grater
- Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- 12 inch Silicone Tongs
***Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Winner must be 18 years of age or older. No substitutions or cash value will be given***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by OXO. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Appetizer Week Participants:
Visit all the other Appetizer Week participants for more Football Munching Temptations:
- Pizza Pull Apart Bread by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Grilled Guacamole by Kiss My Smoke
- Crab Layer Dip by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Easy Individual Pizzas by Call Me Pmc
- Chocolate Malta Wings by Food Done Light
- Mom’s Famous Chicken Ball by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheddar Bacon Dip by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Tamari Roasted Chickpeas by Je Suis Alimentageuse
- Spinach Artichoke Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Wing Dip by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Microwave BBQ Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Pulled Pork Sliders by The NY Melrose Family
- Cheese Bean Dip by Wonky Wonderful
- Chipotle Cheese Dip by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Vegetables and Romesco Crostini by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Buffalo Ranch Cheese Ball by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Buffalo Butternut Hummus by Farm Fresh Feast
- Mini Maryland Crabcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sesame Pecan Chicken Wings by Makobi Scribe
- Pina Colada Cheese Ball by Home Cooking Memories
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsaby Clarks Condensed
- Sweetly Spicy Southern Meatballs by Cooking In Stilettos
- Butternut Squash, Pomegranate & Goat Cheese Crostini by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Tex-Mex Chicken Salad Bites by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Four Cheese Garlic Flat Bread by Try Anything Once Culinary
More Tasty Appetizers: