It doesn’t get much easier or delicious than these Muffalata Oven Baked Sandwiches! Layers of ham, salami, mortadella, provolone, mozzarella and green olive salad. Baked in the oven until they reach hot, melty perfection!
I have a love affair with New Orleans. Specifically New Orleans food.
I dream it. Crave it. At times I am consumed by my NEED.
Gumbo, New Orleans Barbeque Shrimp, Étouffée, Beignets, Chicory Coffee and Muffalata Sandwiches!
New Orleans is famous for Muffalata Sandwiches. Created at the Central Grocery in the French Quarter. It is a necessary stop if you ever visit New Orleans!
Of course, you can find Muffalata Sandwiches at many restaurants in the French Quarter. I had The Best Muffalata at a tiny speck of a café along the Riverwalk.
I would grab a Muffalata, a bag of Zapp’s and an ice cold Abita. Sit on the patio to enjoy my grub while gazing at the mighty Mississippi River.
Perfection. Pure and Simple.
So now you see why I have to make my favorite New Orleans meals at home. I used to visit NOLA every year. But, I haven’t been back in over 5 years!
Withdrawals, People. Withdrawals!
Until I make it back to the French Quarter I will be making these Muffalata Oven Baked Sandwiches.
The traditional Muffalata is made on focaccia bread. I prefer them soft and buttery. So I used King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.
Loaded with meat and cheese. Slathered with olive oil and Italian spices. Then baked until hot and melty.
Make it and fall in love with New Orleans! Then you’ll be dreaming of the French Quarter, like me.
You’ve been warned.
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Package King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (12 pack)
- 5 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 10 Thin Slices of Ham
- 5-6 Thin Slices of Salami
- 5 Slices Mortadella
- 5-6 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Olive Salad*
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Italian Herbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slice rolls in half and arrange the bottoms tightly in baking dish.
- Layer mozzarella, 5 slices ham, salami, 5 slices ham, mortadella, and provolone.
- Top with olive salad and parmesan cheese.
- Place rolls on top and gently press down to flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Mix olive oil and Italian herbs.
- Brush mixture over the top of sandwiches and bake 5 more minutes.
- Run knife between sandwiches to separate. Serve.
- *I made my own olive salad with sliced green olives, roasted red pepper, peperoncini olive oil and dried Italian herbs.
You’re Gonna Want To Try These, Too. . .