Try this Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Recipe for a twist on the traditional shredded chicken sandwich. With a cheesy sauce, lots of garlic and the addition of artichoke hearts. This simple slow cooker recipe is sure to be a new family favorite dinner!
I love making pulled chicken or pork in my slow cooker. Usually it is swimming in some sort of barbecue sauce.
For this recipe I wanted to create a creamy sauce using Star Butter Flavored Olive Oil and cheese. Now you can have chicken smothered in a creamy, buttery, cheesy sauce. Definitely a nice change from the typical pulled chicken sandwich.
This Crock Pot Chicken Recipe is fairly healthy too! I used a mix of Greek yogurt, Neufchâtel cream cheese and mozzarella cheese to make the creamy sauce.
The Star Butter Flavored Olive Oil takes the place of butter. And I added lemon and fresh parsley to brighten the dish.
Of course, no recipe of mine is complete without loads of fresh garlic!
Oh, and did I mention that these sandwiches are served on buns toasted with butter, fresh garlic and parsley!?! That is why it is only somewhat healthy. I ate my Creamy Crock Pot Chicken over quinoa for a healthier meal.
I stopped by my local Walmart to grab the Star Butter Flavored Olive Oil because Walmart is the only store that carries it. Then on my way home I shopped at my local Safeway to pick up the rest of the ingredients. Safeway is right around the corner from my house and I’m there so often that the employees know me by name.
Ready to go!
Get the onion, garlic, chicken, artichokes, chicken broth and Star Butter flavored Olive Oil started in the slow cooker.
Then just put a lid on it and relax. You have a couple hours before there is anything else to do.
After about two and a half hours, it is time to add the creamy ingredients and get the garlic buns started.
My family loved this meal. And I loved how simple it was to make!
This recipe was enough to feed four adults and three hungry kids . . . Twice!
We had sandwiches one night then used the leftover creamy shredded chicken over noodles the next night.
Join My Wonky Wonderful World and Never Miss a Recipe! Subscribe:
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion - sliced
- 10 Cloves of Garlic - chopped
- Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Star Butter Flavored Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2½ lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 8 oz Frozen Quartered Artichoke Hearts
- 1½ Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- 4 oz Neufchâtel Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 6 Soft Sandwich/Hamburger Buns
- 3 Tb Butter - room temp
- 2 Garlic Cloves - grated
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley - finely chopped
- Small Pinch Salt
- Layer the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and and Star Butter Flavored Olive Oil on the bottom of slow cooker.
- Next, place the chicken breasts and artichoke hearts in an even layer. Pour chicken stock over the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ hours. (add 2-3 hours if cooking on low)
- Shred chicken with forks.
- Add lemon juice, cream cheese, Greek yogurt and mozzarella.
- Remove lid and cook for 30-40 minutes until sauce thickens.
- While the sauce is thickening, prepare the garlic buns or pasta.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix butter, garlic, parsley and salt.
- Spread butter mixture on the inside of each bun.
- Place the buns, butter side up, on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or broil for 1-2 minutes. (until lightly browned)
- Fill garlic buns with creamy shredded chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- Or toss creamy chicken with cooked pasta and serve.
Enjoy this Crock Pot Chicken Recipe on a garlic bun for an amazing sandwich.
Or serve with noodles for a delicious Creamy Chicken Pasta dinner!
Check out Star Butter Flavored Olive Oil at Walmart! #CollectiveBias
And take advantage of the fresh ingredients at your local Safeway!